Stuck Carbon Seat post!!!!! AAAhhhhhhh!!!!

cipolinni

Old School Grand Master
Helo everyone
Just picked up a Caad3 Cannondale Saeco Team Colours from mid to late 90s
The damn carbon seat post is well and truly stuck in the alloy frame
Anyone any ideas on how to remove.

Plus gas over several days/weeks might do the trick. Heating the frame with hot air blower will also help loosen the vice like grip the seat tube has on the post. /that might be enough with a bit of plus gas to get it turn.

The only problem with the hot water idea is getting enough heat into the seat tube.The hot air lower (more diffiult to find) would get more heat in.

But as you say nothing to loose.

Carbon fibre has a coefficient of thermal expansion of 0.68 x 10-6 /°C in the longitudinal direction (which means it expands).......

However metals have an expansion about 10 times that so heating should "relax" the grip on the seat post :)

Shaun

seat post

Thanks for all your input to this frustrating issue
I wish people would look after and maintain their bikes.

Anyway as is, the height of the post is just right for me,the previous owner is same height.
But i need to free the post for the future,have tried the hairdryer method,but as yet no result.
Is it a matter of keep trying,or should i cut the post and then cutting down the length and chip away the carbon fibre.

It's a great shame to leave it,it's a great looking bike
When i removed all the components to clean,i found specs of white paint everywhere,the guy is a painter and decorator,sacrilige.
Spent most of the day cleaning etc.

Btw,is there anyway to establish the year of production,it's the Saeco "Machine de caffe" model
I have the original Shirt and cap,purchased in South of France during the 2000 Tour De france.

All the best and thanks
Malc

Back