Schwinn 4 Banger

That's actually a Straight 6 with the Lefty.

You can get converters to use Lefty with 1 1/8 headtube, the 4B headtube is a bit short, but the S6 headtube is longer so works better with less spacers.

It did ride really nicely with the Lefty on it, but I ended using it on another bike in the end.

My 4B lives to fight another day :D

I've found some other bits to sell (when I say "found", I mean "bought a complete bike and I'm going to split it")..

I'll hopefully make a little bit of money on splitting the bike, so it'll go towards paying the dreaded bills!

The Mavericks are on their way back to me as we speak. They've had a complete strip down and service, and I've had the damper rod replaced as apparently it had a little nick on it which was causing the damper to lose air pressure every time it passed through the seals :shock:

I can't wait to get them back on now that I don't have to sell the bike!

The forks are back :D

What a difference!! It didn't even feel to me as if they needed servicing, but it was pretty clear that they did because the end result is a million times better than they were before!

I've also gained about an inch of height on the front end, as the forks weren't extending fully before (which I didn't realise :oops: ). I've got to tighten up the head angle by adjusting the rear shock on the trunion.

Don't you just love adjustable bikes? ;)

Piccies to follow later - I'm going to go and get it mucky.

glad you're keeping it! they're such versatile bikes and the more you ride it the more you'll love it!

That S6 looks ace...really good. Looks modern too, like many of the slope style.bikes that have appeared over the last few years. Must be a real hoot to ride.

It is, it absolutely is, you know how some bikes make you giggle and ride like a complete hooligan from the moment you swing a leg over them, that is one of them... it's like having a little voice in your head... "go on... jump off that! bunnyhop this! pedal faster! corner tighter! go go go!"

It's almost dangerous....

amedias":1blbhuft said:
That's actually a Straight 6 with the Lefty.

You can get converters to use Lefty with 1 1/8 headtube, the 4B headtube is a bit short, but the S6 headtube is longer so works better with less spacers.

I came this close -----> <----- to buying a lefty fork today, then I noticed something right before I handed over the cash...

Your Straight 6 headtube.
65737453778e9f5e2dc52fc6259ff7d1.jpg

BarneyBallBags 4 Banger.
6e8292393aeeb3ca8cd22cee88749721.jpg

My 4 Banger...
20a545ea2e13820169650456e2a31541.jpg

Note the difference in the head tubes. Mine it would seem, is significantly bigger than yours...;)

So the S6 headtube isn't necessarily longer than the 4 Banger. More important it would seem, is the frame size.

This of course means that the lefty won't fit my frame in standard guise, and even a lefty xl might be a squeeze.

You learn something new everyday on here...

yeah I should have clarified there.

"for the same given frame size the S6 is longer"

however if you have a much larger frame then obviously will be bigger!

The longest headtube (without headset cups fitted) I've managed to get a lefty to fit with is 118mm and I then had to use a very low stack crank brothers headset.

I've been looking into this whole lefty conundrum.

The standard cannondale lefty has a distance of 137.7mm between the yokes. My large framed four banger has a naked headtube length of 140mm.

Add an average sized headset, and that gives a stack height of about 170mm, miles to big to fit a lefty on to.

Cannondale do an XL version of the Lefty that they fit to their larger frames, which is 163mm between the yokes. A low profile headset from crank brothers adds 22mm to the headtube, so at 140mm + 22mm = 162mm, I could just about squeeze an XL lefty on the bike with 1mm to spare.

A tight fit, but it is just about do-able...

Question is, when did they start making XL lefty forks?

Back