removing colour

cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
i have a pair of cook cranks in blue and i would like to remove the colour .

what is best ? they are anodised .

I have heard of folks using spray on oven cleaner to remove anodizing color, but do not try this based on me mentioning it. Wait till someone here on this board has actually tried it. I would hate for the oven cleaner to do some damage to those cranks. You will be erasing the logos in the process.

Removed anodizing from a canti hanger using the following technique from Jez (as above though, disclaimer if it doesn't work, I wasn't too worried about the canti hanger although the outcome was fine)

1) Get caustic soda - I got mine from Tesco

2) Use a washing up bowl or similar plastic container

3) Put warm water in container (probably should not use hot water, may acelarate the chemical reaction although could be good for Fight Club style chemical burns)

4) Water will fizz so don't touch it (unless you want the Fight Club burns).

5) Stick the stuff that you want to clear of the anodzing in the container and stir with a wooden or plastic spoon (probably best not to use a cooking spoon). Should now be more fizzing and you should start to see the colour being removed although speed will depend on strength of solution - if in doubt start weaker.

6) Periodically check by removing to see how it's progressing.

7) Some alloy componentry may go black; this is just a top coat of crud that just needs rubbing off.

:cool: Once all the colours out use a metal polish to buff it up.

And that's it! It probably is best to test a small area or unloved component first.

yep , that one definately works , just did a seatpost

just be very carefull , if the waters too hot it will spit acid at you

best use gloves and eyewear

and it gives off a smoke too , so dont breathe that in either

the metal will be black as said , and a bit hot too

used a washing up sponge to clean the black off so not that difficult to remove

dont leave it in too long as this will cause the alloy to pitt ( if it is alloy ) and wont polish up as nice

Been using caustic soda since the early BMX days - be careful though it is dangerous stuff. Do not use hot or very warm water - cold or tepid is enough. The water will warm up through chemical reaction. Always add soda to water not the other way. Wear protective gloves and eyewear. Do not breath fumes. Caustic soda is a strong alkili, have vinegar nearby as a neutraliser. Use around a tablespoon to a litre or so. Summerge and agitate object for 15 - 20 seconds, rinse and evaluate. Repeat for 10 seconds and so on. To polish I would not use nylon washing up sponges or anything like that, best thing is metal polish wadding in the tin. Will not leave any scratches and gives a superb shine. And before stripping be aware some intricate areas of components can be very hard to get into and may leave tell tale areas of colour.

nar feck that ;)
I use boiling water (seriously), yeh gives off masses of fumes (do outdoors!) but does it inlike 40seconds (why wait longer!) rubber gloves & goggles deffo advised. when it turns black grab it out, rinse it with water & rub back to silver with 3M scotchbrite. bristle brush for hard to reach parts. autoglym polish to stop it corroding.

used caustic solution cleans your drain out a treat ;)

Back