hilarystone

mmm bit of a shame hes got some nice stuff you would think that if he has a site for all these frames bikes etc that he might like some cash his way he has quite a few bits id like to buy but if hes hit and miss then i dont think ill bother hes not responded to my email and as for being rude there is no excuse for that in my book and your more likely to get my fist in your gob than my money. :)

his prices for stuff i will say is on the hole very fair he has a few bits id like for my project 8806 build and im fed up with chasing suff on ebay that just sells for way to much money for what it is.

Hilary Stone used to write a great column on vintage bikes for one of the cycling rags. He's extremely knowledgeable and a highly respected expert as a glance at his contributions to the Classic Lightweights website amply demonstrates. I guess he couldn't make a living as a writer. Shame that. He's such a mine of information.

Bought off Hilary a few times and all items were ok and as advertised, yes he can be abrupt and slow to answer emails etc, that said he is VERY knowledgable about the subject of all things cycle shaped.

I have heard several reports of items/ bicycles being bought off VCC members very cheaply only to be sold on at great profit, this I can understand after all everyone has a living to earn and if you are paying the initial vendors asking price...........however I have also heard of historically important and completely original machines being broken up for spares to maximise profit! this I find hard to swallow if true.

Been told Hilary is a member on this forum and views the forsale section only and buys the stuff cheap then lists the parts on his website.

Anyone know his 'forum name' ? just like to keep tabs on him !!

So Hilary Stone is in the business of buying and selling vintage bike parts and, gasp, he may even be making a profit! Big deal. It's not like he's auctioning off Turner paintings or asset-stripping Rolls Royce. Furthermore, I highly doubt the income he makes on selling British-made parts and frames to, dare I say it, Americans, is more than a fraction of his total sales. Most of his dreadful foreign sales are probably more likely foreign-made parts like Campagnolo parts and Italian racing frames.

ooooh looks like ive opened up a hole can of worms i dont think his prices are that high hes got a nice green raleigh sbdu frame for around £170 id love to get my hands on but that would be for another day all i want is some nice shimano 105 kit for my 8806 frame set and to give the chap some money.

I wouldn't give him a penny of my money, and I told him as much, after waiting weeks for him to send me some Rino gears.... I E-mailed him and got told he had been in the warehouse, and found some parts were missing and had been looking for them but couldn't find them. I told him had he told me I earlier I would have gladly waited for him to look for them. He never answered me back............

To be 100% fair to him he refunded me straight away.

He still owes me a refund, been going on nearly two months now.

Whether or not I ever get the refund, I'll never buy from him again.

Nigel on the other hand is absolutely fantastic.

Latest posts

Back