grisley mega 10 frame

organic

Dirt Disciple
Does anyone know the history of this? It says made in spain, with a US flag on it, big thick alloy tubes. I got it in a job lot of stuff. I'd like to rebuild it does anyone know what groupset it would have had originally? Its red and I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

I remember these bikes. Dentons in Newcastle had about 6 different models. Massive oversize tubing and they were VERY light. Highyly polished chrome look!

The frame was generally the highlight as they seemed to downgrade the components to compete in similar price ranges as other bikes. They often had cheap forks on them such as marzocchi "zokes".

They started IIRC about 450 for a good frame, but really terrible bits. Having said that, we all wanted one as the frame was always the most important bit to us and we were always swapping/trading bits anyway.

They all had USA flags on them, but were stickered "Made in Spain".

I wouls be interested in seeing pics!

Regards

Carl

grisley mega 10

Thanks Carl,
I will post some pics of the frame tonight, mine is red and has some forks I think the mega 20 had suspension. I will start looking for bts for it and get it back together. Like I said it was in a job lot but the lightness and the fact it was made in Spain interested me the welding looked like good quality. I had a marin with an alloy frame in 95 and I loved it it got nicked in 98 and then i moved abroad, so now I am back I am trying to get back into cycles and I love the mid 90's stuff. I even had an old KHS in 93.
I'll post pics later.

gisley pics

here at last[
2050fefc.jpg
[/img]
2aa7f58d.jpg

I had a Mega 20, fitted a Mag 21 and upgraded some of the components. it was a really good climber.. shame about the looks on a era that thinner tubes and a cool brand was everything.

Mr Grisley was an American bike designer who worked for an Italian bike firm that wanted into the mtb scene so they hired him. I rather like them, least ways those oversized alloy ones, the more conventional stuff does not light my fire. I'm sure I've seen those frames badged as Muddyfoxes aswell :?

Found an example of the similar muddyfox:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUDDY-FOX-ALU ... 578wt_1034

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm getting one of these next week in a bundle of other stuff, seems quite clean and in a metallic blue hue. Way to big for me though, looks to be a 20"+ :shock:

Was hoping to relieve it of a few parts but it sounds like that will be a waste of time lol!! :LOL:

parts on the grisley

It would be interesting to see the parts I found pictures of a complete one with stx parts.

Back