Don Brooks Columbus SLX/SL Handbuilt.

Harsh words! New bar tape is coming, this came off another bike but because it's the corkish stuff it split when it was coming off.
I'm still experimenting with saddles for it, rotating through a rolls, concor, flite and B17. Personally I quite like the Flite on it, though it is a bit rough.

It's for riding though, it's not a museum piece. I'm sure the builder wouldn't want to think of it sat being looked at rather than ridden.

Looks a lot better now. Having seen the original pics I was going to comment that I like the build but not keen on the brown tape and saddle.

Another fan of DA here.

Cheers Tel. It'll look even nicer with non torn-to-bits bar tape...
I did try it with a black seat post as well, which *almost* complimented the black stem, but was just a bit much.
Perhaps I should just stop worrying and start riding.

ForestHill":3hfu5wkb said:
Harsh words!.
Mean nothing by it mate ;) It just looks as if the saddle is from an old thirty year winter hack bike.

All my bikes are neat and clean but get used daily and never had a shelf queen.

As for the bar tape i'd go for the original Ambrosio tape this is really hard wearing and washable.

This is Ambrosio tape if you haven't ever seen the stuff before....
motobecane1006.jpg

The fi zik stuff in my eyes is rubbish and you can't beat the Ambrosio stuff, its really good quality stuff
and has been out on the market for many many years and comes with chrome handlebar end plugs.

This stuff is available in the classic 'leather effect' with holes or now with a 'carbon effect'
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_nkw=a ... misedbikes

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
And super cheap as well!
How is it vibration wise? I suffer with bad carpal tunnel on longer rides, and that's with quite spongy tape.

I would say its a little firmer than the spongy stuff, But it all depends with the Ambrosio stuff how tight you wrap it around your bars.

Ambrosio tape is lighty padded in the centre then feathers out to the edges, this tape will last you years if its wrapped correctly.

Ambrosio tape is wash-able and wipe-able, unlike the cork/foam stuff :roll:

Re:

Still keen to buy this bike off you mate and have it back in my stable :)

I'm coming home next year for the Lincoln GP/Nationals/ Sportive and I can't think of anything more that would make old Don happy than that frame being ridden round the wolds.

You've actually owned it longer than I ever did now...so it's you're baby....but I'd love it back!

If theres a bike out there you're lusting over let me know...happy to buy it for ya to get one of mine back.

SB.

Back