My 99 Lobo Restoration and build

Magsy":1iisbga4 said:

I have found a Yeti DH8 frame, with this shock, and I am thinking about buying it only to swap the shock on my Lobo.

It seems that in race, they used this Pro Deluxe shock, but I don't find any picture.

Do you have an image to show, please ?
Thanks !

Hmm, really should have tried the shock sooner :p

Small Lobo built up and this is the first time the shock has had the ring on the bottom, so previously I've been guessing/measuring to find out if it would fit. I was pretty accurate but not enough. It will work but when it bottoms out and tilts back, I think it is going to hit the 'arch'. The shock is longer than stock and the spring wider. I can't get the original spring to fit over but with some metal work I could, this would slim but height wouldn't change. The original shock sits lower and bends with the arch, so missing it. I do need to lower the trunion a bit, which will gain me a little space, maybe the medium frame is different also?

Measured stroke before I think it will hit is about 1.8", so 5.4" travel at the wheel. It would suck but I could limit it to that if I had to.

Everything else fits fine, my trunion adaption is good and it all moves like it should.

Frame with shock and all bearings etc weighs 5.7kg or 12.5lbs. The Coupe shock is 780g and the Pro 1150g.

It will fit!! I will make it work, somehow, I'm too far in now :)

Thank you Magsy for doing it !!!

But it shows me that Pro Deluxe may not fit on my thermoplastic Lobo, because the seat tube is nearer to the shock than on alloy one...

Is it possible to turn 180° the shock, in order to have the gas cartridge near the wheel ?

And in this case, would the wheel touch the shock, or there is enought space ?

What size is your frame?

This is small so has a very short tube but I understand, it looks very tight and close on the STS Lobo with regular Coupe shock.

I don't think I can turn it around, tyre will strike it but I will try tomorrow!

My frame is L (19.5"), but the thermo is very different :

sts45.jpg

I made a simulation...
...but it's very approximative, your wheel test is essential..

prodeluxe3.jpg

Thank you in advance Magsy !

Lol! :D

It won't work, the remote reservoir hits the arch :(

I lowered the trunion a bit and put the shock back the correct way. This gives me more travel before the spring touches the arch. Almost full travel, I measure 2" of shaft now so it did gain me some. It might now be ok but very close at the front.

Just to see, with Bos n'dee..

The shock looks great! I've been talking to a few people about the old team bikes and it seems that they used a coupe deluxe but with a longer stroke and a much bigger wider spring. Each one custom tuned to suit the rider. I've attached a picture of Nolvenn Le Caer's medium team bike. The length of stroke and spring looks similar to yours but without the piggyback!

Great build, very inspiring!

Attachments

• Lobo.jpg
    Lobo.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,351
Magsy":2b3zolyu said:
Lol! :D

It won't work, the remote reservoir hits the arch :(

Thank you for trying Magsy, but this is a problem that I will no have, because on thermoplastic Lobo, there is no arch between suspension arms..

IMG_0947.jpg

(not my picture)

So, can you just check if tyre hits the remote reservoir, please ?

I am sorry to ask that, but a Yeti DH8 shock is very expensive, and I don't want to waste money...

Thanks a lot !

Back