Might need some help with this Sun

Am I right in thinking that the wheelsize would depend on the brake drop ,in that 700c would fit provided I could get calipers to reach the rim,or am I barking up the wrong flagpole

No you're absolutely right. Also 700c wheels in a 27" gap will leave lots of light between tyre and frame, not a good look unless you fill it with big fat tyres and/ or mudguards...

...hence my suggestion above of rear coaster brake (no brake reach issue) and big fat tyres.

AHA see what your saying,Ill let you know how I get on Im sure I could borrow a 700c and see how ot looks before I shell out any pennies.

Winking wink, that's a lot of exclamation marks!! !!!

I remember seeing it on ebay, and being attracted by the colour, but then noticed the size of the frame. I've seen quite a few 27" wheels for sale on ebay (beware of steel rims, and I'm not personally convinced by Quando hubs), and Schwalbe and Panaracer both sell 27" tyres.

I'm in a similar situation to you, and the fixed vs. geared decision has been very tough. I think it's cheapest to start with fixed, then sell the rear wheel and buy the stuff for geared if it doesn't work out.

I was talking to a chap today who said hes got some bits knocking about so Im gonna have a look later and see what I can cadge ,if hes got some 700c wheels Ill give them a go and see what they look like,not sure now if to keep the same colour or go black and white

No not got the wheels yet :cry: Probably weekend.
Got the Weinmann brakes from the Allegro and give them a polish,I think the dropp will be deep enough.The paint will be black,with a cheap(£18 ) black and silver chainset and silver seatpost,bars etc,not very original Iknow but the missus will like it,Il put some pics on as I progress as theres some cheap bits coming from Velosolo tomorrow.
Made a bit of a boo boo when I forgot to get a small but quite crucial part...a bottom bracket :oops:

Success,we have wheels,well a decent front and a knackered rear but they fit in the frame and dont look silly,alot less room between tyre and front fork bridge than I thought there would be,Tel-thanks for all your help with this your a star.The wheels I got given have newish bontrager tyres too!
Had a bit of a job with getting them in so thought Id be brave and coldset the frame and forks to 100 front and 130 rear,much easier than I thought after I stopped kakking myself about snapping something.

Phew! I was concerned that I may have given dud advice. I did wonder if the front wheel would even fit so not surprised that it is close clearance. I'd love to see a picture....

Cold setting cheap steel is quite easy as it isn't as springy as higher end stuff and will certainly make your life easier.

Back