Advice on new wheels for 1988 Peugeot Aravis?

Grafix

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
This is new territory for me - so looking for some advice please!

I have a mint condition 1988 Peugeot Aravis (including frame pump and pedals!) and I'd love to fit some modern rolling gear to it, as the Mavic open 40's and 32 spokes are pretty weighty :)

Am I right to think I could use a 7-speed cassette and hub/freehub without having a rear frame spacing issue?

If that is true would a bike shop be able to source and build a 7-speed hub into something like a mavic aksium rim for me - or are the hubs not generally available?

- Or should I be taking a different approach?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jeff

Hey Jeff. Yes you should be able to fit a 7 speed hub straight in there (I presume you are running 6 speed now?), 7 speed is 126mm oln generally.

Problems are that 7 speed hubs are quite hard to come by and when you do find some you'll need a low spoke count to fit it to a modern rim like an Aksium, what are they about 24 hole?

If you want to fit modern rims I'd just spring the frame to take them. The purist in me would not allow me to do that to an otherwise original bike though and I'd more likely source a better set of period wheels with Hope hubs, 4cd rims and ultra light tyres for example.

Tel,
Many thanks for your help and info - much appreciated.

I had not factored in the spoke issue at all to be honest so that has given me plenty to think about.

I like the idea of high quality period wheels so will try that route first. That would feel 'right' if I can find some.

The search begins I reckon!

Jeff

you can find old 126 mm hubs with 28 holes, while for the front you can use a standard ambrosio or Novatec in polished silver 24 or 28 holes... then you need a pair of light rims... I use Velocity Aero Head, which are 410-420 grams each and the wheelset comes at 1500-1550 grams with ACI Db spokes, even less using more expensive DT revolutions.
PM me if you are interested, I have a few of those in stock

PS: Aksium rims are stones... who said they are light?

If you really want to lose weight and stay in keeping with the bike...tubs is the way to go.

GL330's and tubs will probably take nearly a lb off the wheels. ;)

Aravis

Would love to see some pictures of your aravis. I used Mavic Open Pro CD's on mine - a nice modern rim but with nice looks for a French retro classic.

Back