Peugeot Perthus Pro refurbishment, opinions needed on design

original

Good job with the BB removal.

I'm quite partial to a graphite grey Perthus (might be slightly easier to paint being all one colour), but the original colour scheme is nice to. Either way, a period late 80's colour scheme would look great wouldn't it!

Are you getting it professionally re-sprayed?

What are you planning groupset and wheels wise?

If I settle for a single colour, I'll just about trust myself to do it. If its a fade job, it'll be someone better than me. I'm going to put Shimano 600 back on no matter what colour I decide. The guy I bought the bike from had traded the original GP4's for a new set of Magic 501 hubs and Wolber Profile 20's which I'll keep, or I've a few sets of wheels from my racing days, GP4's and Mach 2cd's. No need to buy or build any more

After a weekend of deep thinking, here are my current thoughts :roll: ........I am going to need to Respray the frame! Fact! It will no longer be an original Perthus Pro! Fact! There is some corrosion on the chrome on the left hand side rear stay around the vent/drain hole that cannot be saved! Fact!

Regardless of what paint scheme i decide, i will need to increase the painted line on the left hand side stays to rectify the blemish, therefore reducing the amount of original chrome, so an authentic blue/white respray won't be very authentic :cry:

I don't have chrome forks, so the graphite grey option is not going to be very authentic either. :cry:

Perth.jpg

So.......I am thinking, why not do something completely different? I know its from a different decade, but i quite fancy the idea of some sort of Perthus/PX10/PY10 mixup

PY10.jpg

Apologies if this offends anyone, but I'm considering something like Thevenet's PY10 except painted possibly a pearl white instead of silver to incorporate a bit of Tom Simpson's PX

My attempt at some kind of tribute to a golden age of Peugeot Cycles, two fantastic riders and of course, keeping it retro?

feel free to let me know if this is a bad idea in anyway, as i'm still not 100% and welcome any thoughts on the frame refurb...........

Yeah, I like the Thevenet Link..... the pic you have shown is likely a 75 bike his '77/8 bike did not have the chrome on the frame

Attachments

• 1977 Thevenet - 07.jpg
    1977 Thevenet - 07.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,674
  • 5385859453_7460a31736.jpg
    5385859453_7460a31736.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,674
Unfortunately my frame is'nt going to faithfully resemble a Perthus Pro, never mind a PX or PY10 as i will only have the drive side stays chromed. I'm going to be forced to paint the other stays and probably just leave the drop out chromed. Its for this reason that i'm thinking i may as well just come up with my own design for the refurb :D

Love the retro decals of the old Peugeots, the world championship & checkered bands and the lion badge.

decals.jpg

I have started work on stripping the frame, and am currently filling & sanding ready for primer. I have treated any rust areas and given the inside of the stays and main tubes a coating of waxoil type preservative where possible.

To relieve some of the monotony, and keep me inspired, i've been messing around in photoshop with possible designs for the frame refurb. I would appreciate any comments from anyone on what i have so far. The bike template used is a bit more modern than a Perthus Pro, so please ignore the geometry and components etc..........

Pdesign.jpg

Good to see someone taking the effort to get a bike on-the-go again.

Hard decision to make for the colour scheme, but a lucky position to be in. They all look great though, so you're on a winner all round.

Would it be lunacy to suggest fully chromed with the Thevenet decals?

Great project!

Ah! Now there's an idea! :D if someone would chrome the frame, I'd be happy to go with it. The budget is set however, on a few hundred mils of paint and a set of stickers. Silver paint with the Thevenet decals just like his Tour winning bikes has now been added to the shortlist however :D

Latest posts

Back