hilarystone

I spotted some Modolo Kronos levers some time back! I email him, no reply - texted him, no reply - I phoned him, no answer. Then pictures taken off his site.

Wanted a Stronglight 107 chainset off him and after loads of emails he finally answered me I asked him what condition
the chainset is in and are the teeth were on the big ring? He said they are fine so i purchased it when it arrived three
teeth on the big chain-ring had were slightly broken and had been filed to match the rest of the teeth but you could
see the bodge of trying to hide the broken teeth + chainset was badly scratched.
Chain-set arrived sandwiched between two pieces of old card and cost only £2.10p to post, yet I was charged £4.

I asked him if he had a Simplex SLJ6600 rear mech he answered 'yes' and was to give me a price!
but then never replied back to me and after lots of emails and texts he eventually said he hasn't got one!!!

Ordered a 3/32nd chain! It arrived but it was a 1/8th chain so no good and returned it, It took him nearly 2 weeks to refund me my money :evil:

I will NEVER use or buy from this guy again :roll:

hilary stone

My experience with him are not very good
Very abrupt and vague,spoken to him a couple of times on the phone.
Have met him a couple of times at jumbles.
A friend and i saw his car parked in the car park,whilst passing noticed loads of nice framesets,he came to the car,we approached him to ask if any were available to buy,straight answer NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! and walked off.
Naturaly we thought what a rude man.
But i suppose this is what he does for a living.
Does not cost much to be polite!

He has a vast collection of quality items

Very knowledgeable gent nevertheless.

Best of luck.

I've bought a couple of items off him with no problems at all,
he does seem a bit abrupt but then he is busy.

I've read quite a few horror stories on LFGSS about him, but
it seems that he or his wife has some health issues that might explain
some of the problems (although not deliberately concealing damaged
parts as mentioned above).

How do people think he compares to Campyoldy?

Johnny

Johnsqual":2gwsv9d2 said:
How do people think he compares to Campyoldy? Johnny
Sir Monty Carlo":2gwsv9d2 said:
I had a couple of Campag aero bottles of Nigel Scott (Campyoldy) No problems at all.

Lets keep this thread about Hilary Stone guys!
If more posts are put up about 'Campyoldy' it will go off topic. ;)

Hi, I've only had one ignored email sent to him, but that was years ago but I won't deal with him on a point of principle ( my own ! ), as all I see from a distance ( I maybe wrong ) is the top end of british cycling heritage/history being taken from punters/dealers, shipped and lost to the four corners of the earth, mainly to the states, for top dollar. Just my two pennies worth. Just to add a note, my dealings with Nigel have been excellent. Terry

I've emailed about 3 different items in the past, but they've always been sold.

His stuff doesn't seem to hang around for long so he must be doing something right :)

Back