Any Fixie Guys on here.... ?

mark45acp":7odhhnn9 said:
Hi Paul, i ride Fixie a lot on the road as it is good fun and good training, i have even ridden fixie on the North Downs - made it a bit exciting! Your Alan will be a good bike for a Fixie - i remember them in the 70's when they were new !
You can get single chain rings to convert Shimano or Campag road chainsets to single speed use - with the proper spacing and chain line - i recommend - www.velosolo.co.uk for chainrings and all other stuff you may need. Their bolt on cog conversions are good also - i did my own on a Hope pro 2 front hub. Plenty of track wheels / hubs etc on Ebay. I ride 46 chainring x 17 sprocket for 73'' gearing which is good for the area i ride - i can get up most small inclines but it is a struggle up a big hill ! you can then ride a steady 17 / 18 mph average and spin madly downhill. i can keep up with my road bike pals on all but the fastest flat parts when they wind up a big gear. Happy to help if you need any more advice - happy spinning ! Mark

Thanks for that Mark, much appreciated, will give Velosolo a look for the bits I need also.

May well have a few more questions......

Cheers
Paul

Recently yes, a 1980 fg/ss pinarello with (reputedly) Olympic history, definately owned and used by the FCI - federazione ciclista italiana (fci stamped and written everywhere). I am stupid enough to ride it without brakes but only on the flat along Brighton seafront where it's perfectly rideable. My knees aren't thanking me though :LOL:

Untitled-2.jpg

Will upload more pics on the rides section soon.

Well, got in finally rideable with a screw on 19t SS I had knocking about....... doing this cheap and cheerful to see if I can get on with a SS....

Went round the block earlier and really liked it but that was totally flat :D

Still running the Middleburn double chainset on the inner ring which is 46T and as said 19T on the back, chainline seems spot on.....

Put it on the scales and it's coming in at 20.8lbs with everything except bar tape.....

Now the other week I weighed it as it was setup as a hybrid with pump, mudguards, mechs etc and it was 26.8 so 6lbs shed already.....

Bearing in mind it's running some very old average rims and tyres, heavy old seatpost, STEEL road forks, I think I'm gonna develop the weight shedding bug soon to see how light I can get it with a decent set of rims, carbon seatpost, carbon bars etc......

Cheers
Paul

Back