Help! Newbie needs some help with an Orange P7 *Pics Added!*

Powder coating/painting has been an option for many..powdercoats vary depending where you are but a full strip and powder coat is averaging around 60-70 I believe?

some have it relaquered after they have got it shiny again

Hi again mate,

I just can't make my mind up, shame I can't have both!! I like the idea of a re-lacquer or full enamel but the thought of it chipping etc after forking out £100+ is mildly annoying (the bike will be in and out of the back of my car so may well be scratched readily). Where-as the powdercoat is harder wearing and cheaper, plus no places seem to list prices for a re-lacquer which is annoying, and they're obviously closed today due to the BH.

I will be making calls tomorrow!!

Right a bit of a non-productive day really, most sprayers I tried won't entertain re-lacquering due to the nickel coat. I couldn't speak to the dude at Mercian as he's away so I shall ring him on Friday when he's back.

All of the powdercoaters said clear powdercoat is not a good idea due to the nickel plating looking rubbish after the shot blasting/dipping process and also the clear coat will potentially go off and change colour slightly. They all recommended a solid colour so back to the drawing board for me :-(

Might ring some other places before making a final choice....

sylus":1c86c111 said:
there are options for a clear powder coat if I remember seeing it in here?

Yeah there is mate, but none of the reputable firms think it would be a good idea as the nickel finish will look s**te after the prep and the clear could also change tint so it seems its best avoided unfortunately.

One of my big hopes was Dave Yates, but it turns out that they own a P7 there and they won't clear lacquer mine due to how that one turned out. So looks like I'm knackered with that route, fingers crossed for Mercian on Friday. Failing that, I found a couple of decent powdercoaters which I've put below, both seem to be well versed in doing bikes and the proper masking/prep for a great finish so I can recommend them based on knowledge etc.!

Gonna go for White or Orange if I do go powdercoating, but we'll see!!

http://www.newtechpowder.co.uk/

http://www.ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/pow ... ycles.html

For someone who didn't know what he was doing at the start you've done a brilliant job with that P7.

Personally I'd keep it nickel as it's very hard-wearing and is not going to get any worse if you look after it. An occasional clean with autosol/wax polish will keep it looking good.

But it's your bike and yours is the only opinion on finish that matters. There are some really good powder coat colours including metallics and even silver if you want to keep a similar style.

gerryattrick":1czib6vh said:
For someone who didn't know what he was doing at the start you've done a brilliant job with that P7.

Personally I'd keep it nickel as it's very hard-wearing and is not going to get any worse if you look after it. An occasional clean with autosol/wax polish will keep it looking good.

But it's your bike and yours is the only opinion on finish that matters. There are some really good powder coat colours including metallics and even silver if you want to keep a similar style.

Cheers mate, thats very kind of you to say, made me blush!! :oops:

I do love it as it is and it isn't going to be a showpiece its gonna get some use, my only concern was rusting but I would be saving myself some dosh by leaving it as is (which is my preference!). I will probably leave it and just keep it clean/polished (£100 gets me a lot of Autosol and Turtlewax!!). Just gotta sort the brakes, fit my new tyres and away I go!

P.s. Anyone noticed how indecisive I am!!

Hi again, just wondering if anyone has any idea where to get a Series 8 tubing decal from? Its the only sticker I need now, thanks :)

Back