Truvative Firex GXP BB

Grisley Paul

Dirt Disciple
Guys,

Does anyone know if the spaces supplied are mandatory ?

I currently have chainline issues and 2 x spacers on the drive side and one on the non drive side..... is there anything stopping me removing the two drive side spacers ?

Cheers
Paul

you can do what you want with the spacers, as long as you can get it to snug up properly with no play and conversly it doesnt bind because you have removed the spacers. I've had to run one of those cranks with the 3 spacers on the non drive side. sounds like you will have to run all 3 spacers on the non drive side as well to make the thing snug up properly

You should have instructions similar to these with your BB??

The 'Compatibility' chart on the left will tell you all you need to know... :cool:

GXP Spacers

I have just fitted a Firex chainset and GXP bottom bracket and had trouble with a poor chain line and thus slightly erratic indexing at the rear. The chainline seems to be too far out at the front.

My BB is 68 mm. I used both spacers, one each side, but I see in a 2009 SRAM leaflet that for English 68mm BBs they recommend just one spacer on the non-drive side. I'm going to give that a try. This is a different recommendation to the current leaflet, which recommends two spacers for all but 73 mm BBs, where none should be used.

I dont see why it would be different with sram bb's.
In fact it would be wrong if so?

It should be 2 on the non drive side and one on the drive side.

Thats 2 spacers of 2.5mm each for a 68mm shell and another 2.5mm spacer to accomodate for a bb mounted chain device or mech.
For a 73mm shell you are +5mm so no need for 2 spacers and then if running a bb mounted chain device or mech take out the last spacer in place of it, keep it there other wise.

When I had a truativ bb, I had to use 1 spacer on each side..

The ONLY way i could get the driveline correct

Well, I've gotta admit defeat that my setup is a ''square shapes in round holes'' scenario....

Have tried all manner of spacer configurations but the chainline is still well out approx 60mm.....

I don't believe any front mech or however much fiddling would get one to work, my fears were further confirmed last night when whilst taking an early evening blast around the local park the chain actually snapped :(

Bent a link side plate and bang, to make matters worse I had made the school boy error of taking my saddle pack off to wash the bike hours earlier and thought (I'm only going round the park, it'll be ok) and not put it back on and like an idiot didn't even take my phone, so after a long embarrassing walk pushing a proflex through the local streets wearing clipless shoes with teenagers taking the p@ss I eventually got home just before dark.

Gonna just fit what the frame was designed around i.e. a 110mm internal BB Shimano UN54 or similar with suitable cranks and stop fiddling, as it's doing my head in.....

Old frames with modern BB's not always a good idea..... :eek:

Odd? :?

I have a Raceface BB/crankset on my Explosif, install identical to that in the photo's here, and never had any of these problems...

Back