Tommasini road bike - what's it worth.

Halfprice

Dirt Disciple
Hi I have a Tommasini road bike. I was given it by the previous owner of my house as a "thank you" for buying his glorified botched DIY project.
I had intended to ride it but never really got round to it, favoring my mtbs.
It is a bit small for me (est 54cm) and I have probably spent more time fetting the bar and stem set up than I have riding it.
Earlier this year I lent it to a friend who is doing a triathalon and he has got on with it so well that he has asked if I want to sell it.
I have no idea what it is worth and was wondering if it has any "retro" value.
It is somewhere between 10 and 15 years old (i think). Is made from Columbus tubeing and I think has prestige written along the top tube.
Its built up with a full shimano 105 group set (7speed).
The whole thing is original and done very few miles.
I don't have any photos at the moment as it is out on loan.
Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks
Tim

I've no idea of value, but it does look a nice bike.

If you want your friend to have it just ask him to make a genuine offer. He knows the bike better than you, having trained on it. You inherited it with the house so it owes you nothing as such and you could make someone very happy.

If you're hoping to make as much as possible - clean it up, take better photos and pop it on ebay - pretty sure there are lots of Tommasini fans out there.

Tommasini are worth serious bucks. Particularly if they're in very good condition.

Have a look on ebay or other cycling forums if in doubt. 105 isn't as desirable a groupset as higher end shimano or campag, but it's perfectly usable stuff.

What'll make a massive difference to the value is the condition of the paint, frame, chrome etc.

The frame is the valuable part... a Tommasini super Prestige in good nick can flog around 4-500 pounds... they do better in USA than over here in UK. The rest of the kit is not worth a lot, although mechanically very good

I agree.

If you are after maximum profit you'd be best off splitting the bike and selling the frame and forks alone. Just look at completed listings on ebay to get a sense of the price it could go for.

However if you are selling it to a friend, then maybe profit is less of a priority?

For what it's worth the frame is a Super Prestige

I can't believe you were given it for free! The house must've been a real dump ;) :D

Of course that quill to ahead stem conversion is a fist in the eye... I demand you restore the original quill stem.
If he's a friend 300 pounds and you can both be happy considering you got it for free and don't know what to do with it.

Thanks all - that's been really useful.
I'd describe the paint condition to average-good. Given a good clean and the chrome a bit of a polish it may come up alright.
Quite right about the quill stem. It was just too short for me to ride & the bars were really narrow.
I'll chat to my mate after his triathlon and see what he thinks.
I suspect the "retro" value will be lost/wasted on him & his money would be better spent on a good value entry level modern bike- I may be wrong....

I sold a super prestige with full dura-ace 7600 on it, in immaculate condition for £1000

That one, as it stands, is worth about £500-£650 ish....

It's a wonderful machine built by a true craftsman........if it fits you, keep it!

Mine was always too small, try as I might to make it work.

Back