woe is me etc etc. *update*

kaiser":14fmdxmg said:
If you can earn enough that you feel comfortable with, why would you persue more money that would leave you miserable. Granted the factor of 5 either way is tempting/not tempting, but unlikely.

I'm with Kaiser on this one. I have a part-time job that I really like, and it earns me enough to go through life without worrying. Having no wife, kids or car does make a difference in spending, so I doubt that my income would be sufficient for most here.
Sure, I could make 3 times as much, but I'd rather live stress-free and have plenty of time to enjoy my bikes.

I thought I would be safe in I.T. as computers were never going to go away, but now thanks to the internet, the work is going to the cheapest countries. Just training up an Indian lad to do my job for 1/3 of the wages.

My advice to my 2 sons will be to do a job which can't be done overseas. Doctor, dentist, undertaker...

At 39 i started a city and guilds welding course after loosing my job, i didn't complete as we moved to england.....but i thought my brain was f**ked but i was getting consistent high 90's in the tests........so it's never too late to learn, but it's easy to think that you've shot your bolt in learning..............at 45 i decided never to work for anyone ever again to make them rich......so that's why i do charity work now, in view to working with one of them in the future.

Look at your income, whittle down the hours as much as you can so your just paying the bills and eating....then use that time you have freed up no matter how small it is to ' think and enquire' on alternatives to what your doing.

legrandefromage":f3bczsvg said:
Well, 4 years on and more whining and hand ringing, I'm a telecoms engineer...

Funny, that.

You haven't been doing the telecoms that long, is it already starting to wear? What would you like to do ideally (apart from retire and live a life of leisure). Or is the problem that you just don't know?

Funny how things work out. Four years ago I was earning good money, working with great people doing a job I loved. Now I am resigned to the scrap heap.

REKIBorter":245cwfy1 said:
Funny how things work out. Four years ago I was earning good money, working with great people doing a job I loved. Now I am resigned to the scrap heap.

nah you're not, theres plenty of life in the old dog yet.

4 years on, I am the skintest I have ever been, but on the plus side, drive a nice little car (didnt own one 4 years ago) and living with my girlfriend i met off the internet last year. Luckily (touch wood) when I moved back to devon year before last, I have never out of a job. Money is very tight, gone are a days of just buying bike stuff of the bay just cuz it looked cool - no more bike buying for me, just debt paying.

Latest posts

Back