broadband speeds.

suburbanreuben":esryklpp said:
6 Mb download and 0.8Mb upload. with BT...
Are you guys using the right case M/m ?
It's the 'b' not the 'm' you're talking about - least I hope it is.

Aside from cities and places where there are large concentrations of people broadband speeds will be low because we do not have the infrastructure to support high speed broadband, as most of what our broadband runs down is copper wire meant for telephony.

Aside from that everyone s out to make money not provide a service, you want more pay more instead of going for the best deal.

But given my recent issues with my own broadband, since I added an extension to chrome to kill flash, my broadband is much faster, added to that I quit wireless and plugged in an a cat 6 ethernet lead, but my supplier plusnet, ( owned to BT but cheaper), admitted there are limitations to ADSL and that being the copper wire meant for telephony.

Neil":3leidt21 said:
suburbanreuben":3leidt21 said:
6 Mb download and 0.8Mb upload. with BT...
Are you guys using the right case M/m ?
It's the 'b' not the 'm' you're talking about - least I hope it is.

I think everyone is on the same page we all just get a bit confused with cases as you said. Mbps - Mega bits per second.

silverclaws":3bidedvq said:
as most of what our broadband runs down is copper wire meant for telephony.

Alot of it is aluminium too. Cheaper (and higher resistivity) than copper.

im with talk talk and get no less than 16mb download and 2mb upload. fastest has been 26mb. :D

I work in the industry (disclaimer!)

A lot of speed issues are cause by ropey internal wiring. BT sell (giveaway sometimes if you ask nicely) a new front plate for the master socket that solves the problem. The other thing you can do, if you have cordless phones, is disconnect any extensions. Some people report that just disconnecting the ring wire (orange/white) solves the problem.

There's really not that much aluminium left. The GPO used it for a few years in the 70's when copper prices went berserk but it doesn't last well and much has been replaced. It becomes brittle over time and breaks. As retrobikers know, it doesn't much like being bent.

A problem in the UK is that broadband is, relatively, quite cheap. Lots of other countries have faster broadband, very few have cheaper or more widely available broadband. It means that there's not much profit to be made and it's hard to justify investment.

If putting someone on one of the fibre options costs somewhere around £1000, it takes a long time at £15 a month to make a return - and bear in mind that prices continue to fall and future regulation might mean that you have to sell that £1000 connection to a competitor for only a tiny amount more than it cost. That tends to mean that Virgin and BT only roll out new kit where they know they'll have a shot at making a return - and that means places where lots of people already buy broadband.

Telcos aren't rolling in cash these days. Virgin is heavily indebted, BT has tens of thousands of pesky pensioners living longer than was expected to make payments to. So they have to borrow money to build stuff, but not many banks will be impressed if you ask to borrow £1000 and tell them it'll take maybe a decade to pay them back. Assuming you want to make some profit yourself for your efforts, I think it's hard to make the numbers stack up.

checked my speed this morning.
3526 kbps.
dont think the wiring is an issue here.
but i do love being able to watch you tube video's with out them freezing every 5 seconds. :D

Virgin Media Cable here; the service I have is 100Mbps Up and 10Mbs down, I regularly get 97-103Mbps up and 9.75Mbps down (according to Speedtest.net).

Can't complain, really! :D

I just tried speedtest.net and got 7.92 down and 0.73 up. My router is on the end of a 40 odd foot 'cheapo crappy installed by me' extension too, so I don't think thats too bad. Talk Talk told me I would get 11 so that could be the case if I moved the router to the primary socket and disconnected the extension.

Would I be right in thinking that when you get buffering on Iplayer or such like it's often because they have run out of bandwidth at their end. When this has happened to me I've run a speed test and got good numbers. I've then tried a less popular program on Iplayer and its been fine. Where I'm going with this is that when BT and Virgin promote their super fast sevices by stating that you will never see bufferng again, is it true? I suspect not!!!

Back