Crank Bros Cobalt headset question.....

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
....... are they really as crap as the reviews I've just read?

seizing up, rusting, generally poor quality..

Anyone got any experiences?

No personal experience of that product

In the shop we don't recommend their stuff at all

Crank Bros stuff does tend to be more form before function

Their eggbeater pedals for instance, plenty of them fell apart in no time. The cleat system wears away the soles of your shoes, bad design through & through. Look pretty though

They have addressed some quality issues with some products so I'm told, but still not good enough in my opinion

Love the looks, hate the quality

Personally I'd look elsewhere for a headset, Hope, King, Ritchey, FSA etc

Cheers for the heads-up Andy,

CRC are drawing me in with their ridiculously low prices, but (for once) I'm just holding off the trigger finger... maybe with just cause, by the sounds of it..

shit shit and more shit when i was at the shop many moons back one guy brought his bike ever 3-4 months for a warranty replacement good for him new headsets all time and annoying at the same time get a king steve fit and forget ;)

agreed, the CB headset I had was poor, only got it for the super low stack height but soon got rid as it loosened off far too easily for me. For value for money Cane Creek S3 are good, Hope also excellent of course. Never had a King but imagine they are fab.

I ignored the bad press and bought one from CRC (Iodine AM) partly because it was cheap as hell and partly because I wanted to reduce the front end height of my Lopes 4x.

It looks quite pretty, but I have my concerns as to how long it will last. It's got a two year warranty, so we'll see.

I had one on my moots....when stripping it to put a Ti king headset in, i noticed the cobalt was in a right state.

Easily comes apart, the bearings were lost instantly and yes, they do rust quickly so need some care.

Back