Quality ?

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Quality I hear the word so much, but what exactly does it mean as it seems there are many interpretations held by many people and what is the ISO 9000 quality assurance interpretation and how does that differ from what everyone else thinks ?

Is the word Quality a misleading word ?

The ISO system is (obviously) standardised so everyone that has an ISO award should each be on a level playing field in the respective category based on the things needed to meet the criteria - so its fair.

I think it hasnt lost its meaning as such but the majority of companies that use it do so with carelessness as its just another buzzword.

I thought ISO 9000 was a measure of consistency. Quality management and systems are in place to ensure each product is the same quality as the next. That isnt the same ad promoting top quality.

My idea of a quality product is something that is made and finished without financial constraint. So it probably doesn't really exist

The ISO9000 standard is about systems and record-keeping and doesn't assure quality. An ISO9000 accredited bucket-making company could still produce buckets with holes in - but at least they'd all be in the same place and you'd have a record of when they were made. ;)

Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance to learn about Quality... Although the search for what it actually meant lead Persig to have a lobotomy... all good fun. :)

I tend to be pedantic with words and whenever I see the word; 'pro', I just think that just means that the maker is aiming at those who would earn their living via the thing which is not an indication that that thing is any better than anything else as what professionals tend to use is something of a 'quality' that does the job required of it and is of a cost than can be borne easily, expectations of longevity are sometimes considered but not always as cheapness tends to suggest if it breaks bin it and get another.

I went through the ISO 9000 stuff in 1994 and to say in one word what it meant to me was; boggling, and another word; cowpoo, as I was doing my job surrounded by a bunch of people higher paid than myself with clipboards making stupid suggestions, like why did I not do such and such to make the job quicker and more cost efficient, to which I got in trouble for losing it and letting rip on them by saying;

FFS !, Are they qualified to ask such questions in that are they avionics trained and are they at all familiar with the intricacies of the disaster that is the Vickers Vc10 in that every man and his dog has pulled apart over the last thirty odd years with varying levels of craftsmanship, No, well leave me alone to get on with my job and not get distracted so I possibly cause an air safety hazard.

Latest posts

Back