1991 Trek 8700.....

Sorry for another post but I absolutely love this bike!! I've never owned a Trek, I've never riden a Trek but there something about the '90/'91 models that light up the Retrobike flame for me. Thanks for posting :D

chiswickcollectables":3cxde72p said:
Remember seeing one of these in On Your Bike in Birmingham BITD..... thought wow..... 21 years later.. still thinking WOW!! What was the difference between this one and the one with the yellow forks? Stunning bike :cool:

thanks craig, the yellow was a bit 'in 'yer face' i thought, nineties neon and all that!.....the '91 catalogue has a girl in it who looks like an early kim wilde wearing neon shorts that could make a mole wince!..... :LOL:

feetabix":opwz62er said:
the '91 catalogue has a girl in it who looks like an early kim wilde wearing neon shorts that could make a mole wince!..... :LOL:

I've just been looking at some old Trek cats and here's your's..

1991Trek8700-3.jpg

I'm remember your old bike as well.. the 8000. It was a toss up between that and the Cannondale SM800, I think they were roughly the same price, around £825. Trek 8000 and Trek 8700 now added to my favorite searches on the bay ;)

I noticed when looking up for the specs on the 8900 it depended what catalogue you looked at..some were suntour xc pro and others were xt

i recall you could spec it either way!........the suntour offers a rarer retro feel, and like an alpha romeo, a little more flare and uniqueness, but id go shimano all the way when it comes to performance!......i did consider a full catalogue build, the front downpull mech with little roller to allow top route cables would have been the hard bit to find,luckily it came on the frame......oe rims on bullseye hubs would have caused a problem though!.....in the end i had most of the bits in the bit box and the virtually nos mavic rims on xt hubs you see in the picture, it seemed daft to leave them in the corner and delay the build for that reason so i put it together as you see......its probably not foremost in minds when we talk of iconic paint schemes, but i dont think im alone in saying i would be able to pick it out on a misty hillside!..... :D

sylus":3slpg23p said:
I noticed when looking up for the specs on the 8900 it depended what catalogue you looked at..some were suntour xc pro and others were xt

With the suntour groupo, it was one of the first bike with a weight around 10kg !!!
Vry top items on it with bullseyes, Sugino, Dia compe…

Love the bike feetabix!!! I definitely like the Shimano grouppo better but the Suntour stuff was a little tougher to find. I had major issues with the front mech and the special cable stop for it. Took me a couple of months to sort it out. But now she rides like a dream! Almost had to sell it though but my other 8700SHX was sold instead!

Thanks cb!.....I had you in the back of my mind when I posted this, I knew it would be right up your street!....yours was a motivating factor in my starting to search for this one. If I remember, yours is the full original spec is it not?.... :D

Looks great. I used to work in a shop which sold Treks and always liked the one you have. Stuff of dreams back them though. I had the 8000 which was great.

Your one really does look good. Well done.

Back