Fixed Gear/SS 26er - Genesis IO time to split?...

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've seemingly been busy with a few simultanious builds, and not really been updating as I go so another nice surprise build here for you. :D

Now just to cool any potential Haters, I'm no Fix gear nut (not even ridden one before this, kept away from trying it a few years now) or Freestyle Fixed Gear Scenester, I kept an open mind and found it an interesting new sub sport to watch... Like many of my ideas I was curious and inspired by a few small sparks that started off collecting bits and evolution of a load of ideas for a build...
I got into SS a little bit more over the last few years, I got rid of my SS 'Jump bike' and built it into an 8 speed Cotic as I'm too old and too big for a bombproof tight 13" frame and needed something more trail orientatied (didn't stop me rebuilding a DMR Ryhthm with left overs though! :D ) so I had a SS rear wheel... :D :idea:
I've been watching the FSFG stuff impressive riding considering and interesting mix of parts on their bikes. I was curious about building something my way, if they could mash bits up together why not? ;)
It started with the idea of using a Velo Solo Disc Cog and not a rear brake, but before that even got bought, parts kept finding their way to me! I got Light DMR OW Forks in a combo deal buying bits for the Rhythm so a wheel and some forks and odd parts bin bits, I almost had a bike right?! :D

001-8.jpg

002-12.jpg

I've loved my Genesis Day One, so when a rough looking IO came up on here, I went for it and struck a deal last summer! :D
IMAG0101.jpg

and a mock up, at this point I wasn't sure if it was going to be a ghetto budget build, and stay the same...
IMAG0102.jpg

DMR OW forks, and the BLK MRKT bars actually bought for the DMR Rhythm didn't suit it which worked out well as I had lovely light cromo skinny bars for this!

An XT/Mavic wheel and set of AVID BB's also found their way to the build parts...

IMAG0225.jpg

There was already a small dent in the top tube and the disk hose guides were bugging me so thouse got deleted after months of pondering! I did a fairly tidy and safe job of it...

Earlier this year IIRC I made two trips to Triple S in Keighley based on reccommendations. Price was slightly more than I expected and the colours were more limited than expected, however, great place and lovely finish, really happy with the mega loud Kawasaki Green!
P3293379.jpg

P3293384.jpg

P3293383.jpg

P3293382.jpg

Next was a load of bits to join the whole project together, Pedals and clips, stem height and length, shorter cranks, crank and BB type, chain size... lots to ponder for what should be a simple build. Good creative fun though...

So this is fastforwarding quite a bit, as many of you know getting final parts is often a mad search, eBay hunt and overall treasure hunt, and some head scratching, even working with more modern kit you don't realise quite how many bits you still need to complete a bike how you want it!, so here have several months of updates!! :LOL: :cool:

P8104213.jpg

I got a lovely Eclat stem for my DMR build, I was so impressed I bought another for this, the top loader gives a little more height too, ideal as I wanted it to be comfortable.
Molly Hatchet Black Market bars, now chopped down from crazy wideness! still WIDE knee bashers though. :LOL: Speaking of which, internal cabling allows bar spins!
P8104204.jpg

A top pic, these BMX kids are running Hollow bolts! Scarily enough I got an extra set in the box. I love the CNC cut outs. Nice work Eclat <3

P5023416.jpg

Foot straps I spent a while looking at, I proudly opted for these Yorkshire made Restrap items! :cool:
P5023419.jpg

P8104233.jpg

and some marked down Eclat 'plastic' pedals, surprisingly grippy specially with the super straps! retroish shape too.

P8104209.jpg

The final wheel/Fork set up with Halo Skewers liberated off my Muddy Fox, also light Folding tan wall DMR Supermoto
P8104195.jpg

That Velo Solo bolt on Cog set up!
Chain tensioners were the last thing I bought, the Genesis, weedy adjusters b0rked on the original frame removed by me, and it wasnt holding tension so good on the test rides, really feel chain baggyness on a FG, first impressions are good now with these fitted, will keep an eye on them to see if they work OK with QR's
P8104197.jpg

Cranks, I really went round the houses on this search, length, type compatibility!!?? Apparently shorter cranks are good for spinning and gurus swear by them, also ground clearance is a bit of an issue but less of an issue than road frames, I have long legs but I was still weighing up 170 vs 175, in the end these new super tough through axle Truvativs were 165's! Downhillers would love these! So far good and interesting.
P8104203.jpg

P8104239.jpg

Final disk set up, just one brake. God knows how they get on with No brakes! :?
P8104206.jpg

Vans Waffle Grips by Odi, Couldn't resist em :cool:, Long and grippy! and lovely Gum! Jury is out that they don't match the 'Colour Scheme' but i've got used to em. May swap out later...

P8104192.jpg

Finally a complete long shot
P8104198.jpg

A finishing stencil and a brand new quality Ritchey seatpost as the Easton had unglued itself on test rides!!
P8104236.jpg

P8104216.jpg

P8104215.jpg

P8104227.jpg

And a pic from the previous initial test ride(s)
IMAG0376.jpg

I'll report back with my ride experiences so far... :LOL: it takes some brain training and isn't great for my back/hip/leg tension skidding, but quite good fun and a new experience!

I quite like that. With the skinwalls it has a BIG BMX look to it. Bet it's great fun to lark about on.

I was impressed with the Genesis Core I had for a bit. Definitely an under-rated brand in my opinion.

coomber":39v1ouxk said:
Nice. Cant get over 1 brake though. Needs two. :oops:

Agree, it's a cool looker thats for sure.

But you took the trouble of removing hose guides and left a redundant set and mount at the rear. Now you're gonna have to drill and send the cable (full length housing) through the top tube.

You'd lose the bar spins though....or you could install a gyro :)

Hiya, thanks for the nice messages, it is a bit like a big BMX it would be if I could trick it properly! It's got a short rear with this gearing and a compact ish frame for my size, though a 17 would be even BMXier!

Yep the whole build was a mash up of inspirations, the freestyle fixed guys, they are largely nuts, I love watching the smooth and creative riders rather than the heavy hard big ball huckers! Their bikes are getting smaller now with tech tricks. In reality it's hard to ride. Very difficult to bunny hop. Usually I guess you'd start on a light big wheeler on skinny tyres but guess the new scene generation start out on wide tyres 26ers. The guys run no brake on the majority! When you've ridden fixed, as many of you would have, no brakes is a tad nuts. Uphill is really good but down eek! I find it's an all new skill being involved slowing down the downhills, and the skids pull muscles! Lols! :LOL:
To be honest I'm keen to get a white ind eno freewheel on there and another disc... Will give it chance yet... If I do a fix cog can be tried on my Day One.

So the brake cable holders? I thought they we're ugly and in the way on the top tube, so committed! Eek but not fully. Plan is to use the chrome clips as the fixed gear factory bikes do. There is always wonderful zip ties too! :cool:
So that could come next, this mash up is flexible.

Thanks for the comments and interest. :)

Looks great, got me thinking whether I could manage to squeeze a set of those Supermotos into the wifes retro frame.

Latest posts

Back