Fork question on GIANT CADEX CFM-3

MD1

Dirt Disciple
I'm new to messing about with bikes.
I've been doing it up, got it looking like new, apart from the fork.. they are cr-mo there are some areas of rust.
I was thinking about having them resprayed but also have been thinking about maybe changing the fork for a lighter carbon or aluminium version.
It has a quill stem and I think a 1" threaded headset.
Would i be able to replace the current fork with a new 1 1/8 fork?
Maybe a silly question.

My bike is exactly the same as this..

6249-cadex-3-1.jpg

1 1/8 is the standard fork size on those frames. I have a CFM1 with a stock rock shox Mag fork that i have managed to switch over to the same fork you got.

My personal opinion FWIW, is those forks are real cool and unique, so worth keeping them on your bike.

If you decide to go for a new fork, there is a member on here from Italy that put an amazing ritchey carbon fork on his CFM1 and it looks real good as well.

These newer forks will probably have to be threadless and you will have to also modify the headset and stem.

Just do a search for CFM1 as a keywork and the thread will come up.

concordino":3n4hog0h said:
1 1/8 is the standard fork size on those frames. I have a CFM1 with a stock rock shox Mag fork that i have managed to switch over to the same fork you got.

My personal opinion FWIW, is those forks are real cool and unique, so worth keeping them on your bike.

If you decide to go for a new fork, there is a member on here from Italy that put an amazing ritchey carbon fork on his CFM1 and it looks real good as well.

These newer forks will probably have to be threadless and you will have to also modify the headset and stem.

Just do a search for CFM1 as a keywork and the thread will come up.

Hey Thanks for your reply.

Yeah the original fork is cool and unique, But mine has started to rust in places... I may have it resprayed.

After all this I have now come to the conclusion that my bike has an un original 1" quill with a shim! The original looks miles better!!

Do you know what the original stem is called?

Best regards

The stem I have on mine does not carry a specific band name. I think it is chromoly 25.4" to fit the 1 and 1/8 fork.

If the one you have is identical to the one in the photo you be shown, I would say with reasonable assurance it is the original stem.

:D

To be honest I would ask in here if anyone can reccomend a powder coaters close to you and powder coat the forks.

Complete bikes cost normally between 40-70 on average for a one plain colour so a fork shouldn't be too much at all and they blow the old paint off first for you

Hi

Would you know the axle to crown length of these
Original cadex forks ?? May be looking for a pair or
At least a set with intended A-C

Cheers

Col :)

Plus one":1clahtno said:
Hi

Would you know the axle to crown length of these
Original cadex forks ?? May be looking for a pair or
At least a set with intended A-C

Cheers

Col :)

16"

Good luck finding some!
I think they're incredibly rare

concordino":2s5m9tf8 said:
The stem I have on mine does not carry a specific band name. I think it is chromoly 25.4" to fit the 1 and 1/8 fork.

If the one you have is identical to the one in the photo you be shown, I would say with reasonable assurance it is the original stem.

:D
Hi
Mine is not identical.
It's weird
25qaf.jpg

A 1 1/8 shim sits above the fork steerer but inside the headset, in the pic above it is slightly extended it can be pushed down so you cant see the shim.

After some serious confusion I bought a 1 1/8 quill stem because mine is horribly ugly and unoriginal , And it didn't fit... turns out my bike required a quill that is 22.2mm..
I am still confused but atleast my bike now looks a whole lot better.

so my bike has a 22.2mm quill does this mean I have 1" fork?

Thank you

[/img]

16"

Good luck finding some!
I think they're incredibly rare[/quote]

Balls !! it means the p2's I have on way are too short at 390mm A-C

:roll:

Back