what happened to great britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russell":oe9x6vcm said:
'We' punch well above our weight in the world economically, politically, in the sporting world, the theatre and the arts and all manner of other arenas.

If you genuinely think we're not 'Great' anymore because of a few immigration or benefit issues, you've lost sight of the bigger picture.

Sense.

greenstiles":2h4whnlb said:
FJM...........such vitriolic comments about immigrants.........more of those double standards comming to light ;)....not very PC

I don't give a flying crap about being PC.

Sir you come from immigrant stock unless of course you are a full blood member of one of the indigenous populations. Yours is a very young country, come back when you've had and empire that spanned 1/4 of the globe, not been invaded for close on 1000 years, given rise to the most widely understood language in the world, lost very very few wars and has been/is home to some of the finest minds, musicians, artists and authors the world has seen, then we can talk.
;)

Why is is that people complain and bitch about immigrants instead of asking why they would want to leave their country in the first place and what we could do to help them make it better.........

Just as an aside I was bimbling around on the net and it seems the the 'Great' days of Britain were around 250-100 years ago when we were at war with anyone who stood in our way, poverty was rife, infant mortality was around 20% and heavy industry had polluted most of our waterways and rivers, the ruling classes really were the ruling classes and ruled with iron soled boots and we had enslaved pretty much India, Africa, and anyone with only a sharpened stick to defend themselves with. Ahhh great days. ;)

B77":3bf6lpay said:
Sir you come from immigrant stock unless of course you are a full blood member of one of the indigenous populations. Yours is a very young country, come back when you've had and empire that spanned 1/4 of the globe, not been invaded for close on 1000 years,

That has to be one of the most smug piles of drivel I've read on here.

B77":3bf6lpay said:
given rise to the most widely understood language in the world

Maybe you should take the time to learn it, or at least take some remedial courses on comprehending other people when they use it (take greenstiles along with you - maybe you can get some kind of 2 for 1 deal). Read my post again. Slowly, and out loud to yourself if that helps. Nowhere in my post did I make any vitriolic (look it up) comments about immigrants. I did, however complain about criminals and those otherwise inadmissible through the regular immigration process using duplicitous (another big word - I'm on a roll) means to abuse the refugee/asylum process here, and our government's PC hand-wringing that allows them to stay and further abuse the system for years with frivolous appeals, all the while supporting them with tax dollars. Try the flush-your-papers-down-the-crapper trick in Australia and see how far that gets you. You'll get loaded on the next plane so fast it will make your head spin - as it should be. IIRC, the last boatload of "paid passage" refugees that wound up on our shores were turned away by the Australian government at sea under threat of being sunk by their navy.

What happened to Great Britain, it was a myth that Britain was actually great, the great applied to all the islands that make up Britain to distinguish Britain from Brittany.

It is only people that decided Britain was great in terms of pride and they were wrong, but if it made people feel good about their country then all well and good as pride tends to foster hard work and belief and that would have continued if were not for the media who seem hell bent on educating everyone that their belief in their country is wrong by telling us all about what we don't really need to know, but in that they found such news creates anger and anger becomes a readership eager for more news to get even angrier and of course the media is all willing to feed the fire as it creates a readership.

At one time people were only concerned about what goes on in their immediate vicinity and what they knew came via observation and gossip not actual fact and of those that others observe and you think they lead a better life than yourself, do you know their story, do you know why they are what you see and what's more would you like to be living their life, because all this pointing of fingers does come across as a form of jealousy via the mentioning of things bought.

But say the person in question is unemployed, does that mean they are a feckless waster and a drain on the country reaping the rich proceeds of your hard earned taxes, do you not know unemployed pay taxes too, they pay tax on the benefits and pay tax on everything bought just like you, therefore their existence is paying for this country just like yours.

But of the unemployed, stop the benefits culture and force everyone to go and find work, but before you do that, make sure there is work to be found, because if there isn't roll back over a hundred years and see starvation and death on our streets and with that a rise in crime as survival instincts come to the fore with the strongest.

But to put it all into perspective what the benefits culture is, it is an unpopular pacifier a means of stabilising what we have bearing in mind our population exceeds the work available and to deny the unemployed a form of existence means this country could descend into the hell of extreme poverty, disease, death, crime and anarchy that would de stabilise everyone and really make the elite fear the mob. The elite don't want to feel threatened, so they instruct the politicians to pacify the mob via a benefits culture paid for by themselves.

But one thing everyone should be aware of that is pertinent now in society as it ever was, ever since the Romans found it profitable it has been enacted by every ruler since, for divide and conquer exists alive and kicking in Britain of today and that aided by the media who profit by identifying divisions and so set the divisions against each other keeps the focus off what the elite are allowed to do.

Don't become a pawn for other's power games.

I am proud to be british..this is still a great country..yes it has its faults like any other countries. I have been fortunate to work abroad in Kosovo and Georgia. We do take alot for granted..you only realize this when you have been away.

The benefit system here in U.K. is the same in most wealthy european countries. I have friends/colleagues in Germany, Sweden and Holland. The same complaints from members of the public{ me you and others} is the same...benefits and wasted money through red tape. Migrant workers who come here to work...good on them, they have a good reliable work record, i am afraid that we have workshy people that wont work for £6.08 @hour{min wage}..the workers from east europe will.

Alot of people moan that they work here and then send money home..this enables them to have a better life..i have done exactly the same..worked away..i have earnt good money to enable me and my family have a better standard of living

I remember working with a Polish colleague..he said to me..{this was 2005}.."we cant get enough houses built here in Poland..as all our builders are working in U.K., we are having to employ Latvians and Lithuanians"..my point is it is just not that the members of UK public have issues with migrant workers...there are "knock on effects"all over Europe

Some one mentioned greed..having more than 1 bike.. i have 5..i have worked hard..i work overtime to pay for items..that otherwise would go on a credit card. I am currently 2 years away form clearing our mortgage...all because i have had the oppertunity to work longer hours. Both my daughters are working they are 17 and 19..i and my wife have instilled a work ethic in them..work hard and you will be rewarded.

It all falls down when people say..."why should i work , when i can get the same on the social... DONT HATE THE PLAYERS..HATE THE GAME..

I am afraid our politicans have let us down..by putting policy in place that allows benefits to be abused... not by foreign workers , but also by the work shy that is home bred

I love my country with all its failings/warts and all.

To all the Brits who moan and groan and slag off this country..if you dont like it just go...there are over 600 flights a day that leave the U.K.

This is my opinion i have read all of the other contributors..i hope i have not offended anyone in the process

Thanks Ernie

FMJ":2i7ubxk3 said:
B77":2i7ubxk3 said:
Sir you come from immigrant stock unless of course you are a full blood member of one of the indigenous populations. Yours is a very young country, come back when you've had and empire that spanned 1/4 of the globe, not been invaded for close on 1000 years,

That has to be one of the most smug piles of drivel I've read on here.

B77":2i7ubxk3 said:
given rise to the most widely understood language in the world

Maybe you should take the time to learn it, or at least take some remedial courses on comprehending other people when they use it (take greenstiles along with you - maybe you can get some kind of 2 for 1 deal). Read my post again. Slowly, and out loud to yourself if that helps. Nowhere in my post did I make any vitriolic (look it up) comments about immigrants. I did, however complain about criminals and those otherwise inadmissible through the regular immigration process using duplicitous (another big word - I'm on a roll) means to abuse the refugee/asylum process here, and our government's PC hand-wringing that allows them to stay and further abuse the system for years with frivolous appeals, all the while supporting them with tax dollars. Try the flush-your-papers-down-the-crapper trick in Australia and see how far that gets you. You'll get loaded on the next plane so fast it will make your head spin - as it should be. IIRC, the last boatload of "paid passage" refugees that wound up on our shores were turned away by the Australian government at sea under threat of being sunk by their navy.

**** me man calm down I was having a laugh not a dig.
If it concerns you so greatly instead of bleating about it on a cycling forum maybe you should get out on the streets with like minded people and protest ?

ernie":1vfbv1r4 said:
It all falls down when people say..."why should i work , when i can get the same on the social... DONT HATE THE PLAYERS..HATE THE GAME..

I am afraid our politicans have let us down..by putting policy in place that allows benefits to be abused...

But are they being abused, as a 'benefits culture' would suggest?

There are (and I'm rounding here) 2.6 million unemployed in this country, but only 1.6 million people claiming job seekers allowance.

For each person claiming JSA, there are 20 who work.

There are undoubtably people who take the p*ss, and the tabloids love to regail us with tales of benefits scroungers living in 6 bedroom mansions in Beaconsfield, but these are far from the norm and certainly not indicative of wholesale benefits abuse across the population or the imminent collapse of society... I'm guessing that the headline "95% of population work hard and pay into society." wouldn't sell as many papers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back