Scott drop in bars + extensions...thoughts?

DMZ

Devout Dirtbag
Someone is trying to sell me a set of Scott drop in bars with weird double-drop extensions (see my shoddy paint sketch as I can't find a pic on the web)....

I don't normally pay much (if anything!) for old alloy bars I use, but I wondered a) does anyone have any of these knocking around in their shed? I know they're a bit out of vogue... and b) if not, worth me spending actual green stuff on them? Bearing in mind I do actually like the idea of the (repositionable) extensions + I am mad and like to put weird stuff on my bikes..

Cheers.
ED

Attachments

• bars.jpg
    bars.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 821
Got a pair of the normal Scott Drop-Ins hanging up in the garage (42cm C-C)
They were on the Dyna-Tech for years

Things are worth what someone is prepared to pay (he said in a Zen-like fashion), but I wouldn't pay more than £50 (but I don't like them).

You say you like them, so why not?

£50 for something you don't like sounds like an awful lot to me :LOL:

They look like a bit of a gimmick to me. I'd rather just stick with normal drops and a set of tri-bars for the extra position.

The tuck-position extensions were sold separately as "Scott Rakes". I've got a pair somewhere that I've never installed, so I can't comment on the ergonomics.

There's a pair on eBay for silly money. I don't think anyone'll have them at that price, but the pictures are nice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290619632862

I think I paid about a fiver for mine.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
gregs656":26akam3g said:
£50 for something you don't like sounds like an awful lot to me :LOL:

They look like a bit of a gimmick to me. I'd rather just stick with normal drops and a set of tri-bars for the extra position.
I'm not thinking of buying them, DMZ is.

£50 is my rough estimate of their value; however, as he likes them, DMZ may be prepared to pay more: "Things are worth what someone is prepared to pay...".

I may be wrong, but think DMZ is being offered Drop In 2 bars as well as the extensions.

I don't like them so wouldn't pay £5, but they seem pretty scarce and he does, so they're "worth" whatever he's prepared to pay.

I did indeed buy the bars complete with those extensions ('rakes') in the end. Yes I can see some foo' on eBay is trying to sell for silly money, but I didn't take that as a realistic valuation.... Didn't pay anywhere close to £50 either! ;) ...any expenditure I have to consider very carefully (just going through one of those periods..) even if relatively it isn't a lot, but instinct told me go back and take a closer look. It was the extensions that swayed it, and the fact that they suit the tourer I'm building perfectly. I plan on experimenting with hand and rake positions, bit of fun if nothing else.

...well if anyone has any others (bars/rakes) they want rid, pm me...as for the bars themselves I like the narrow sizes; I favour the old narrow Raleigh drops (ALWAYS after these, if anyone has any!) and these Scotts are only about 2cm wider in total..not sure if they did much of a variation. I haven't properly measured them, just whacked them nose to nose with the Raleighs on my bike currently.

Will start posting pics at some point no doubt.

I fitted some drop in bars to a bike- almost impossible to maintain that tuck for any duration and narrow hand postion made steering very twitchy - at least with tri-bars and extensions, the extra weight from the arms and upper body on the pads helped stabilise the steering. Strictly curiosity value only.

Back