Peugeot Aneto

531 pro

rBotM Winner
This has got to stop...yet another retro Peugeot joins the stable.

DSCF0541.jpg

This month its an '88 (?) Peugeot Aneto - pictured in the background hanging next to its stablemate the Aravis. 531 Pro tubing (naturally!), 105 groupset, Mavic MA40 wheels. It's in great condition.

DSCF0535.jpg

DSCF0534.jpg

I've always wanted one of these. When I first started getting into cycling (would have been 1988ish as it happens) I was at the finish area of the Verwood Carnival Road Race in Dorset and a friend of a friend who had just finished the race wheeled up on one of these. His one had a full Mavic groupset I remember. Aneto's had the same graphite grey colour scheme as the everyday Premier, but this was clearly so much better. Even the Reynolds sticker was red! Wow!

DSCF0536.jpg

Now I've got one...

It's currently receiving the ministrations of the ex-cycle mechanic (me :LOL:). Quite fancy putting all the Mavic kit from my Aravis onto the Aneto, and converting the Aravis back to original Shimano 105 spec for sentimental reasons (this was how I bought it). I'll have a ponder.

Does anyone know more about the Aneto? They don't seem very common.

What a beautiful pair of bikes. The Mavic conversion sounds like a great idea. I'd love a nice Peugeot...

I have an Aneto as well would you believe......? :D

Its exactly like an Aravis in Red/White and has Sachs Huret New Sucess group with Wolber Alpine 430's on it.. I very much doubt if thi swas the original stuff on it...

When you mention the Mavic SSC groupset one of the fellas in our club in 1988 got a 531pro in graphite with GP4's and Mavic 501 hubs on... At the time as far as i recall it was IR £840 which was telephone numbers back then.. He wrote it off in an accident with a car and messed his shoulder up ! My brother got the groupset and fitted it to a Rossin SLX

The Aneto with the Mavic stuff on is superb looking...

I seriously need to take photos of my stable

Im confused :? (not uncommon)

Why does it need to stop!? :D

Swapping the groups over sounds like a no brainer to me, get on and do it...

Incidentally I ride a Pug too a 653 Ultima I think it is. Fits me great and rides brilliantly, albeit a little tatty.

Tel":bov2onoi said:
Im confused :? (not uncommon)
Why does it need to stop!? :D

If there is a wife involved there is :roll:

Love the Pugs I had the same white one years ago but was stolen whilst on a cafe stop.

aha! Picture works now but you've posted it in the wrong thread....

The wife oh yes of course :roll:

SSC Bits

VanhireBoys":1jlakruz said:
When you mention the Mavic SSC groupset one of the fellas in our club in 1988 got a 531pro in graphite with GP4's and Mavic 501 hubs on... At the time as far as i recall it was IR £840 which was telephone numbers back then..

That sounds exactly the same as the one I saw. I've got a pair of 501 Hubs built into Open Pro rims - sounds like they'll work a treat!

VanhireBoys":1jlakruz said:
I seriously need to take photos of my stable

I'd love to see some pics!

Love it! :D very jealous! :D just glad you don't ride 52cm frames, you've picked up a knack for finding these beautiful old Peugeots, there's still a chance I'll come across a few in my size. Have you still got the Perthus? How is it progressing? Look forward to seeing them all lined up. Keep up the good work.

Perthus

mAdam":24bykrnb said:
Have you still got the Perthus? How is it progressing?

Yes - still got the Perthus (its the one in the background in the pic above). I've cobbled it together with assorted bits and bobs and its my main racing bike at the moment. It's going off to Argos cycles at the end of the season for a respray and I think Father Christmas will be delivering a new graphite grey Ultegra groupset and wheels for the whole retro/modern thing. I must say, even in 'cobbled together' form it doesn't half ride well. So smooth and responsive - i'm not at all tempted by an 'upgrade' to a carbon frame!

Back