CRT Vs LCD Monitors and TV's

In the living room you have no choice, plasma or lcd will have to be chosen based on what annoys you the least. In my case I went lcd but next time plasma.

For the PC, just waching and surfing a good £250+ ips lcd is great, using an ips panel removes of the annoying traits for me. It has to be 16:10, I don't know why they keep insisting on 16:9 its for bloody video and those extra vertical pixels are very handy.

I PC game though and have a 24" 16:10 Sony CRT, there is nothing that can match it, everything else will be a compromise with the exception of pixel perfect sharpness, which in a game I don't care about.

CRT has just been hounded out because everything else is cooler..for most people..

Nothing you can do about the living room, get a decent LCD or Plasma and enjoy HD material blowing away what you know, SD will look bad compared to CRT but you have to live with it.

On the PC, unless you game or need (easier) colour accuracy then you need to buy a higher end LCD panel, nothing you saw in the superstore was high enough. Not in terms of price nesseceraily, it just they stock overpriced poor ones! A DELL U2312HM or similar U2412M etc is a cheap starter.

Easy_Rider":372949wx said:
I'm still using a Belinea 19" CRT monitor for my PC and watch telly on my Panasonic Quintrix 32" TV which costs thousands new and came with built in dolby digital. I have often thought of changing to LCD but I'm always put off when I see the picture quality and the "digital blur".
I just find the picture much sharper and the colours much more defined on my old CRT's. I've heard that the new LED with 2ms refresh and 120hz are much better. Anyone with knowledge and advise? I'll need to change my PC monitor soon.

I agree CRT is better, but when our Bang and Olufsen 32" Avant TV died, it really was time to upgrade to HD, now that was a £4K TV so finding something better was tough.

We looked everywhere and this was the only series of TV's (excluding everything over £2.5k) that was good enough to not repair / directly replace the B&O.

panasonic txl37d25b

My only complaint is that the shades of black to grey are very limited, so a guy in a dark suit often looks like a silhouette. However the panaonic was the best of everything we looked at in this respect.

A guy at work who knows I've got OCD issues of finding the best. . . bought one straight from the internet on my say so without looking at any others and is still well chuffed with it.

I had a couple of good quality £500+ CRT PC monitors and was dreading the day when my last one packed up as I'd not been overly impressed with the LCD screens I'd seen and CRTs were no longer available.

However, last year my 7 year old CRT finally gave up the ghost. After reading some favourable reviews: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm I bought a Dell U2412M and I'm really pleased with it. Colour, contrast, all that stuff is good and I particularly like the fact that it's a proper monitor panel, with a 1920x1200 pixel 16:10 ratio and not a repurposed 16:9 1920x1080 TV panel. And importantly, in terms of image quality it does not feel like a downgrade from my previous CRT monitor.

Back