Modernised or ruined?

Great fun isn't it? Although a bit of a learning curve....i'm still trying to setup the gears properly. :?

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. :cool:

mikee":3ircj7bf said:
mine
P10105481.jpg
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Reason why I like retro bikes is there uniqueness.
Your bike used to be unique and now it's just like most suspension bikes you see going around.

certainly looks better now, but i wonder what it would have looked like without painting the frame.

I say it's ruined: it's never going to ride well or look...er...'conventionally attractive' however modernised or modified it is, and so the only thing it had going for it was its originality and the minor historical significance that went with it.

A lot of these retro-modded bikes seem pretty confused. Why combine an obsolete, poorly-designed full sus frame with modern parts, and even ditch the iconic original paint job? You end up with some frankenstein thing that neither rides well nor preserves or celebrates its quirks, provenance and wider history. That said, it's not like they're super rare and you seem happy, so different strokes for different folks I guess!

"obsolete, poorly-designed full sus frame "

have you ridden one ?

these still ride extremley well

mikee":ux4m2y71 said:
"obsolete, poorly-designed full sus frame "

have you ridden one ?

these still ride extremley well

Yes, I've ridden one. In what sense do they ride extremely well? Are you comparing it to a well-designed and executed full sus mountainbike frame, or a badger perhaps?

Yeah, I'm defo in the 'for' camp with this one. When cannondale 'updated' their graphics they lost some of their look IMO - small point maybe but it makes a difference. I think there are some aesthetics worth preserving but not the original - I think the update breathes new life into her - nice work!

nice changes to a classic bike, only thing i would have kept was the old graphics other then that small detail safer and cheaper to ditch the headshock (aka Hell in a headtube!!)

and hey your happy with it so thats what counts, good work :)

Back