Recommend me a CHEAP heart rate monitor

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
As per the title really.

I think I'll get a bit more out of my interminable turbo trainer sessions with an HRM, but which one?

I don't want an all signing and dancing thing, and as I'm not actually moving, a wrist watch type monitor will be fine.

Halfords have THE cheapest Polar monitors at present at a nudge over £30, so that's my starting point.

Neil,
I've got a used Polar which I've had & not used for a Very long time but it's in fine working order...PM me if you like & I'll send you some links.

& Yes! HR Monitors are good on the Turbo. Very controllable...

Thanks Claret.

Having the patience of a not very patient thing in a bit of a hurry, I spent all yesterday evening googling and reading reviews and training guides. As a result I bought a cheap monitor with high, low and average rates, plus high / low warnings.

I have downloaded a couple of really sensible training guides, plus bought a book (for 99p on ebay) which covers hr / turbo training.

neil, if you pm me your address i will karma one out to you. our running club give them away after every 30 runs completed in a year and i have 2 so your welcome to one of them. they are sweatshop own brand which consist of the chest strap and a watch which you programme all your stuff into. unfourtunatley im short of the instructions but im sure your local swaetshop could help you out. i think they are good the retail at £30 and seem to work fine.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

I'm hoping mine will turn up today, not that I'll be able to do anything too meaningful until I have an 'at rest' heart rate. But at least I'll be able to figure out how it works.

I have worked out a sensible max rate, as all the dire warnings I have read about finding your actual max heart rate have scared the stuffin out of me :shock:

I really just want to make sure I am getting the maximum benefit out of my turbo sessions, before I can get back on a bike again.

Polar are the experts there take a look at their website I think zone 3 is the working zone with zone 4 being maxing out. The just one cautionary note, the the first time I wore the hrm on my bike I nearly collapsed going up a hill my heart rate went through the roof and I thought that was my lot. I I did the chest strap up to tight and it was restricting my chest expansion under heavy breathing felt fine under normal breathing though I loosened it and tried the same hill after I recovered and it was fine :D

I've used the Polar CS200cad for a few years now.
The HRM side of it is fine - working at different Zones etc - helps to keep boredom at bay.
Having an HRM that also covers cadence is quite useful (to me anyway)

Well, my little BHIP 9 arrived today, made in the same Taiwanese factory that makes Cardiosport hrm's apparently.

Not knowing my at rest rate meant I really could only use it as a monitor today, but on my usual interval turbo session, I have to say it was extremely interesting and useful, especially in my last hard interval and then warm down.

I'll work out my at rest rate over the next couple of days and then the real stuff can start.

Excellent bit of kit.

Back