Shimano Multi Release Cleats......

Grisley Paul

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys,

Just bought my first set of clipless pedals and shoes (Shimano M520's) as I've been very reluctant in the past but am determined to give them a fair crack..... a short ride around the block tonight was fine and no issues at all....

My question is really regarding the cleats..... the pedals came with the standard single release SH51 black cleats but upon reading the intsructions I see you can also get the SH56 multi release cleats that seem a good idea.....

What do most people run ? it seems on face value that the multi release jobs offer more advantages for no disadvantage from what I can see ?

Much prefer the single release ones, myself.
I found the multis were OK most of the time, but would release just when I didn't want them to...pulling away from the lights, bunnyhopping that big log, jolting through the rocks etc...

Great for nervous beginners, but you can pull them up and out as well as twist to release.

All the best,

Ok, interesting, thanks for the reply, thought not a single sole would favour the single release jobbies but goes to show it's worth getting opinions... :D

Kinda thought that myself, at least with only ONE way to release you will (hopefully) with time do that and that only and have no issues, whereas with multi release maybe there's a tendency to get slightly lazy thinking you can unclip any old how etc.....

Yup, I think it's a pretty good indication that all but the single most basic double-sided leisure SPD (Shimano PD-M324) are supplied with the single release SH51 cleat...

All the best,

Multi-release are the devil's work :) Not much point being attached to the pedals if suddenly you're unexpectedly not...

I got multi release for my first foray into clipless, and i'm happy to say, i'm still running them 2 years on

Despite what's written up there ^ I don't get many unexpected clip outs

I had some multi-release cleats with my first SPD pedals (M324). I changed them almost straight away. They are good if you are going to ride around on the road a bit and get used to the whole twist out thing because when you forget they will save you from the inevitable SPD fall over moment, but they pretty much defeat the object of having SPDs. You can't pull on the pedal so you dont gain a pedaling/power advantage and they offer no security in terms of keeping your feet on the pedals over the rough stuff.

BobCatMax":g9byuofc said:
I got multi release for my first foray into clipless, and i'm happy to say, i'm still running them 2 years on

Despite what's written up there ^ I don't get many unexpected clip outs

With SH51's you don't get any unexpected clip outs.

Its worth saying that with either version, you will eventually have an SPD related injury, don't worry too much though it is usually only bruised ego. It seems to happen just when you get confident. :LOL:

JamesM":6ebnt15y said:
I had some multi-release cleats with my first SPD pedals (M324). I changed them almost straight away. They are good if you are going to ride around on the road a bit and get used to the whole twist out thing because when you forget they will save you from the inevitable SPD fall over moment, but they pretty much defeat the object of having SPDs. You can't pull on the pedal so you dont gain a pedaling/power advantage and they offer no security in terms of keeping your feet on the pedals over the rough stuff.

I can very happily pull on the pedal, stood up, popping my knees out as i go uphill

I must be doing something wrong :LOL:

Back