Thinking about STI's...

Thanks for the input everyone!

pigman":nbd8mfct said:
7 spd is 5mm, 8 is 4.5 so its different.

if you can get some campag 8 speed ergos, they will work straight off with your 6 spd back end. I know, I used this for years

That appeals! So the spacing was different on camag stuff? As wide as shimano 6 speed?

I was reading my earlier reply and a cheaper option (than I originally suggested) would be to find a 7 speed Uniglide cassette (rare) or add another sprocket to yours and use 7 speed spacers and then find some 7 speed RSX shifters.

But if Campag works then go for that, and let us know how well they work!

Just to jump onto this thread if I may. . .

I have a 7 speed freewheel (not cassette) and am planning to get a modern 8 speed STI lever (Shimano Sora) and wondered if that would index with my seven sprockets?

Reading the above it seems like a "maybe" but it'd be great to have confirmation.

well, I won the ebay auction for the 7 speed STI's, and I have a 7 speed uniglide cassette in the post, so I'm afraid I won't be able to comment on the whole 8/7/6 compatibility!

@Scillysuffolk: The vendor is posting them out to me after all, but thanks again for your kind offer & for bringing them to my attention in the first place :D

Back