Frankenbike - magnesium, 29er, budget build

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
OK its a Carrera but its made of magnesium and very green ! :cool:
The original idea was to make this up into a cheap but light kind of hack using my spare bits up but have now thought to create something a little different to fill the gap in my (small) collection.
So this is now going to be a ...
29er - whats the fuss all about - but bigger skinnier wheels make sense for road / trailcentre use ? Will 700C wheels / tyres fit a standard MTB frame - time to find out.
1x9 / Single Speed - Had a SS before and liked it so may give that a go or got a spare cassette, shifter etc 1x9 will help keep the weight down and don't need the big range of gears for the intended use of this bike.
Budget Weenie - my Scalpel is my obsessive weenie build but seriously question my sanity spending £90 on a secondhand XX cassette to save some weight for example. So can this be built up to be light - hoping sub 10kg - without spending lots. Target is £250.

P1060541.jpg

P1060543.jpg

I like the triangular section tubing for the main tubes - is this design feature for Mg or just an excuse to make it look different ? Has disc mounts / guides and V so not decided yet what to go for as that will depend on what wheels I can find. Weight wise it clocks in at 1980g as shown with an unknown square taper BB, FSA headset, seatclamp and bolts so I'm guessing the bare frame is about 1500g. Not bad to start with.

I'd like to know if the 700c wheels fit too and what tyre size you're using as I'm looking to put a set on my bike for commuting purposes.

I've seen a few pics of other using 700c wheels/tyres on standard MTB frames and taking a few measurements I reckon they'll fit. I was going to go with 700x35c tyres as these seem skinny enough to clear but still available as light offroad cross style like Conti Speed Kings. Should hopefully have some wheels soon and will post pics up.

Hopefully there'll be enough clearance with the 35's as that's what I was looking at fitting when I get the wheels.

Yeah, certainly a lightweight and quite handsome frame if the CB Tasmin I built up is anything to compare it to?

I got some 700C MTB wheels on Ebay this weekend and they turned up this morning just as leaving for work - Deore centrelock disc hubs on Alex Rims XO lites, came with 160mm rotors and Conti Speed King 35C tyres so hopefully just the ticket. I know they're not going to be that light but the budget is very much dictating the build here. Will see if they fit tonight - fingers crossed !

Dead Rats":2p9k8ie7 said:
not going for mudguards then? :LOL: ;)

Maybe some of those super short and totally useless ones you used to see on road bikes as they're not too heavy. I was also thinking about other lightweight add ons like a wicker shopping basket and bar end streamers. :cool:

Latest posts

Back