Uniglide 6 speed cassette

adscan":2kzlj1fk said:
6 speed spacers would do the job. I am currently using a bb lock ring instead of the threaded cog.

hmmm, am I right in thinking you're using 6 of the 7 cogs with the bb lockring and the 7 speed spacers? shifters are 6 speed?

yes....using 6 of the cogs and the bb lock ring as the 7th. the 7 speed spacers make the block narrow and my 6 speed shifter struggles to change smoothly. i suppose i need wider spacers.

yes you need the wider plastic spacers and the thin metal spacer that goes with the threaded top cog.

Is there no friction mode on your shifter? many have index and friction. In friction mode it will operate any speed, failing that might be cheaper just to get a 7 speed shifter.

it has a lever on the shifter to change to friction i believe. will have another play.
i will also keep an eye out for some correct spacers also.

switch to friction and put the 7th cog back on. All will be well till such time as you find some spacers. I love a happy ending :)

a shifter in friction will run 6/7/8/9 speeds.

The rear mech is effectively speedless and does what the shifter tells it. Just set the stops as per usual and you're away.

Back