Hollow tech 1 crank problems

imperial21

Old School Hero
Hi
I am new too this site and i am after some help please with one of my bikes, This is a 2008 specialized rockhopper pro disk, probably a bit modern for this site ! ( I prefer Kona s early 90s ones ) any way i want to replace the crank rings on the specilaized as they re worn out ! Normally an easy job, but this bike has a hollow tech 1 crank I put a bar through the crank and put a crank extractor on it, it extracted the threads from the arm and thats about it ! :oops: has anyone any other suggestion to remove the crank arm ?
Thanks

Maybe i've missed understood. But if i remember when i had these it was a allen key on the non-drive side then pull the drive side. Done.

This to modern for the section up to 1997. Their is a 1998 on wards section

Sorry if incorrect on the cranks

[ moved to 98 --> section ]

By Hollowtech 1 do you mean Octalink cranks?
In which case a standard crank extractor with an insert plug for the M10 axle size should've worked.

If you've stripped the threads out of the cranks then a bearing puller is probably your best bet for getting the crank off.

Hollow tech1 i believe is correct as both arms are removable, Thanks for moving to the correct section !
I have tried with a bearing puller but it was nt working well but i will go back to that plan thanks

If I remember correctly, the Octalink cranks and bottom bracket set up that you are referring to had a thicker axle than the old square taper cranks so you need to buy a little plug that goes into the end of the axle. The standard crank puller then pushes against this to remove the cranks from the bb axle.

Hi
Got the cranks off !!! using a 3 legged puller. Unfortunetlly i had stripped the thread in the crank arms. but on the good side the chain rings are now replaced yay !!!

Now i have to sort the brake calipers :(

Back