Maillard Freewheels

Jono Bolton

Retro Newbie
Im sure you get a fair few newbies like myself coming on here asking about converting their bikes over to single speed/fixed, but I seem to be a bit stuck, and could do with some help!

A few months ago I picked up a Phillips Phantom, with the intention of converting it to single speed, and I've been doing some investigation and discovered that I have a Maillard screw on freewheel. I was just going to remove the existing geared freewheel and replace it with something like a Shimano MX30, but I've been told that Maillard hubs are only compatible with Maillard freewheels. Does anyone know if that's the case? Will my idea work or will I have to go down the route of buying a new, more suitable wheel?

P.S Sorry if my terminology's a bit off, but I'm pretty new to all this!

There are conventional screw-on Maillard hubs, plus a rarer beast called a Helicomatic, which is probably what your pal is talking about. If you have the misfortune to have a Helicomatic then you will need a new hub, therwise a conventional freewheel will fit fine.

You may have to fiddle a fair bit with the chainline or respace the hub and redish the wheel even if it works as a single sprocket will be far to the left of the chainring.

Most common reasonable Maillard freewheel I came across was the 700 which was just a screw on. As hamster says it's a bit of a pain to use a single speed on a 5 speed wheel as the chainline is completely wrong. If it's just for knocking about see which sprocket of the block lines up with the chainring and try that :)

Shaun

Thanks very much! I'd seen the Helicomatic on the Sheldon Brown site but having looked at it, it's not what I've got thankfully! It was the shop I was going to buy the Shimano freewheel from that said that Maillard freewheels only work on Maillard hubs, but I thought that might not be right. I know the the chainline would be off if I just screw the Shimano straight on, so I was looking at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150878174773? ... 1957wt_922

With that I should be able to screw it straight on and then screw the freewheel onto the adapter to straighten out the chain, has anyone else tried one?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Never seen one of those but no reason why it shouldn't work....wouldn't like to use it for a fixed though, even with the adhesive supplied LOL

Might be able to source a wheel for that price though

Shaun

I would question your LBS's competance with that sort of advice. Refer them to Sheldon Brown next time you're in there. They might pick up something worthwhile.

as long as std Maillard hub ask your lbs to re dish the wheel to suit single freewheel use , my lbs have done this loads of times for my without any issues at all .

Does your shop have the tool to remove mailard freewheels. Var make one, supplied by JD Whiskers if they don't.

Back