Are used car prices going up???

Magsy":20i39sdw said:
JamesM":20i39sdw said:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/subaru/legacy/sports-tourer-2003/29560/?yearplate=77

I know people in the trade say that parkers is a load b****ks but who would actually pay 50% more than the guide price?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... 3481790985

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

The car in that last link has been for sale since last october and has only come down £500 in that time. It's done 2k more miles since then too so has probably been used for running errands. You would think they'd want to sell it wouldn't you. It's along way to go to offer 4k and be told to feck off though :LOL:

If anyone lives near either of these cars maybe you could go along and offer 3500, get all your mates to do the same over the next week or so and then I'll turn up weekend after next with 4 grand cash ;) :LOL:

Last october I looked at an '05 with 60k listed at 6 grand and could have had it for 5400 but I tried to get him to chuck in a years tax. He wouldn't so I walked away leaving him with my number. A year on and older ones are more expensive.

Without knowing the car it looks a little unfair, it is below average mileage by a lot and appears to be fully loaded which has to add money.

I've had access to the more pro Glasses guide for a long time and it is always the same story, cars over their values. Just seems to be how it works, if a car has a lack of availability that shoves the price up the books don't reflect that.

I always thought you should pay what you see on Autotrader, if there are 20 cars all around the same price then that is the price regardless of what the books say. You always get a few people way over and there will be no reasoning with them!

15,000 miles under isnt worth a 70% hike on the book price. And as I said they've had it for sale for nearly 11 months so it clearly isn't worth what they are asking. I've been looking for a year now and alot of these cars hang around for months and months. Autotrader will tell you the asking price not the selling price, so as a buyer how am I suposed to know what they are actually worth. Also car dealers will tell you that Parkers or Glasses aren't worth the paper they're written on untill such a time as you have a trade in, then they will give you the book price. So both those cars may well have been bought by the dealer for circa 3 grand.

I don't think you are realistic, taking the second one as example the indy dealer price is 4k on Parkers. The mileage will stick 500-750 on, plus some for the options, it looks high spec to me but I do not know the car at all. At the very least 'book' on that car is 5k. Rock up with 6k in cash, no px and he will take it. If there are others available then buy one of those?

If they hang about that long then you shouldn't buy it, how are you going to sell it? Big engine BMWs or Mercs sell fine, so clearly people don't want to buy these cars!

Magsy":sbxyvy44 said:
I don't think you are realistic, taking the second one as example the indy dealer price is 4k on Parkers. The mileage will stick 500-750 on, plus some for the options, it looks high spec to me but I do not know the car at all. At the very least 'book' on that car is 5k. Rock up with 6k in cash, no px and he will take it. If there are others available then buy one of those?

If they hang about that long then you shouldn't buy it, how are you going to sell it? Big engine BMWs or Mercs sell fine, so clearly people don't want to buy these cars!

I agree about the milage so that makes it 4200 plus 750, 4950. I'd pay that but the asking price is 7 grand so as you said he'd maybe go to 6. All that kit is standard so won't bump the price up. You ocasionally see them for realistic prices but they don't hang around long and are usually along way from me. I sent the seller of the second car an email telling him if he'd take 5 grand I'd come and look at it. As I said he's had it on his forecourt for nearly 11 months now and in a few weeks it will effectively become 6 months older when the new reg comes out. I doubt he will even respond though.

According to Kelley Blue Book, the cost of a year-old used car is now only slightly less than that of a similar new vehicle. The supply of late-model used automobiles is also low this year because Americans are keeping their automobiles longer than they used to.

ysa002":204ma8xr said:
According to Kelley Blue Book, the cost of a year-old used car is now only slightly less than that of a similar new vehicle. The supply of late-model used automobiles is also low this year because Americans are keeping their automobiles longer than they used to.
The US car market isn't that close to the UK used car market, though - used car prices seem generally higher, and for longer, in the US, than they do in the UK.

I have put vehicles up for sale with a top end price when I have not really wanted to part with them. If the dealer is using the car now and then perhaps they like it too much to let you knock their price down. Cash always talks though, it seems a long time to have a vehicle advertised.

Yeah that one is a more realistic price and only came on recently. I may go and have a look at it if its still around this weekend.

Is silver worth thousands more then??? :LOL:

Back