Retrobike National Series Rd 5: Tweed Valley ~ AFTERMATH pg7

Well I've got time to type some stuff now I'm in a fancy hotel in Solihull now (don't ask!).

I must admit I was quite worried about this ride, as I know when it's bad weather up there it can be really miserable. Added to the significant climb on the posted route profile this got me a bit nervous.

Stayed in a lovely hotel in Selkirk on Friday after giving out some Eat My Dirt Ninja Bike Cleaner ever ytime I stopped on the way up and saw someone with a bike on their car.... Raining all the way up, very hard too. Anyway, thought the morning would be better as forecast........

The decor in the Scots hotel was what I was expecting (frilly!) so that made me happy. :)

It wasn't.... raining when I got up. With a slightly heavy heart I got ready and had brekkie.

345a115e.jpg

I set off and stopped off at the excellent Alpine Bikes in Inners and bought some waterproof shorts. It was warm but still quite wet at this point.

Turned up to the car park and met Geoff - I'd been looking forward to seeing his Cleland - I always thought "it must be different for a reason!". Thoroughly nice chap... but more later......

Lots of people turned up and I gave away more of the bike cleaner and stickers, which everyone loves, even the modern guys...... ;-)

88467756.jpg

ed369432.jpg

Weather seemed to be clearing up as we set off into the forest. I have been here before so I knew the climb was a bit of a beast and it proved to be again, with short flat breaks to give us all a bit of rest. There was no mistaking we were going up a bloomin' huge hill though.

I stuck with Geoff and chatted about his bike. He was having a bit of difficulty with his breathing (smoking too much was his excuse but I hope I'm still riding at 63!!) so we walked up a bit together. He let me ride his bike up one of the steep bits and I have to say after 1 pedal turn I could see what is was all about. The unbelievable grip, smoothness and just plain ease of riding was astonishing. More later......

Geoff let me ride his bike quite a bit and I think he thought I'd pinched it as I went off on my own a fair distance while he pushed my bike - sorry Geoff, but it was your own fault for designing such an awesome addictive machine!!

Soon caught up with the others, fixing stuff...

6596880a.jpg

85307e04.jpg

It was such a relief to come out in the sun. The ride in the forest was so damp and sweaty it felt like I was riding in a cave - weird. The sun on our backs was very welcome - plus a tailwind!! I didn't enjoy the tailwind as much as I should as I was concerned that it would be a nightmare headwind on the way back.

When I rode the Cleland I wasn't sure about it downhill, but Geoff soon showed it was excellent there too as he shot away from me like a bullet on the first slippery muddy rocky downhill. I just couldn't believe it. he just made it look so easy while I was slip-sliding away..... :shock:

Lovely views....

45309096.jpg

My bike felt ace on the downhills unlike the Dales ride, helped by the rather controversial Bullet Bros chain tensioner....

eca55bdb.jpg

So up hill and down dale, the climbs weren't too bad and there was some cracking descents, very retro friendly and not nearly as rocky as had been threatened. I felt ok but near the 3 Brethren my knee started hurting which got me worried.

Where did this mans poo lie? No one knew, it made riding quite fearful at one point...

b26958c2.jpg

It was quite muddy in places but never enough to be an issue..... Dave did get quite dirty though...

e3695f7d.jpg

Climb up to 3 Brethren - most people seemed to walk!!

434c1805.jpg

Anyway at the 3 Brethren we all sat down for lunch in short sleeves - it was nice and warm and only a bit windy. I know it's August so we muight expect good weather but I think we were blessed with an amazing day yet again for a National ride. Especially as the weather has been so changeable recently.

Lunch lightened the backpack somewhat and we remounted for the return journey. The headwind didn't seem to be there, in fact we seemed to have a bit of a tailwind if anything which was very surprising, but very welcome!

I headed out in front at most of the stops so I could walk up the hills. My knee was ok downhill but uphill it was quite painful. I had taken some co-codamol but it wasn't working too well, apart from making me a little giddy... :shock: :LOL: So sorry I went out on my own guys but it worked for me.....

151a4850.jpg

Anyway the return trip seemed much easier than I had feared and it seemed to be quicker on the way back, reaching the red run at Inners quite quickly I thought.

I was looking forward to this as the only other time I've been here I broke my seatpost near the top and it ruined the whole descent. The top half this time was a real treat, fast, swoopy, some sweet drop off and jumps too. Surprisingly retro friendly too, just a few rock gardens and oddly placed rocks (that never look natural, can you hear me trail designers??). I hit one so hard at one point I thought I had cracked my frame so I had to check it over at one point. Thankfully no damage though..

BANG fsssst - crap!! Impact puncture on the front.... Quick change and off we go again. Track was getting steeped and more technical in places, but still loads of fun.

BANG fsssst - crap!! Noooooo! No more tubes but John gave me one of his. Unfortunately this appeared to have a leak and wouldn't pump up. I had been crippled and had to walk down for 20 minutes, missing some of the best bits :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thankfully I got another tube and did the last few hundred metres, and gladly arrived back at the car. Phew!

I couldn't have much of the Sweetheart Stout but had a sip and it was surprisingly nice. Pack the car up, chat a bit more (I missed the awards somehow, when did that happen???). Said my goodbyes and left for the 210 mile drive home, back in time for that last hour of Saturday......

A great ride, those who didn't make the effort to come, or just couldn't make it should try harder next time as you really missed out. I might make a longer trip of it next time to ride more of the area, but coming up for 1 day was worth it anyway.

Thanks all!!

(I'll do a review of the Cleland ride later)

Will add more pics when I upload them..

Photos taken by my friend, Janet...

Attachments

• Inners01.JPG
    Inners01.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Inners02.JPG
    Inners02.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Inners03.JPG
    Inners03.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Inners04.JPG
    Inners04.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Inners06.JPG
    Inners06.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Inners07.JPG
    Inners07.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Inners08.JPG
    Inners08.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,572
You can see my house in the shot looking over inners from Caddon Bank, also some nice shots of me looking like Gumby man with dog.....

Anyway I will join the next one chaps, good job I didnt come out given my lazyness I mean need to be in Glasgow for 7pm and in reasonable shape....

Still looks like you had fun!

gutted I missed this, great photo's, handsome looking trails, good chat and dry weather :shock:

well done all

Another great MacRetro ride, thanks again to Klaus, Aaron, Dave and the other chaps for putting on a great ride :)

Left Retrobike HQ at 1600 Friday afternoon. Quite what I was thinking I'm slightly unclear on, several hours later I cleared the heavy traffic and could make some progress North. Arrived in Scotland quite late on having hit some heavy rain, hoped the forecast for a good day Saturday was true!

Awoke Saturday to, er, rain. Dined on a fine cooked breakfast before donning some kit and driving up to Inners. Good to see faces old and new at the car park. A fine selection of machines as ever although I especially coveted Rado's Fat. Nice :) Good also to meet Geoff Apps having read plenty about the man and his bikes over the years. Good chap and handy rider too.

After the usual slick pre ride prep we headed out only 30 odd minutes late. The first climb lasted a fair while and was a stiff introduction to the day. Once we'd ridden to the top of the Inners trail centre the route went out school for an out and back jaunt out on the Southern Uplands way.

Lunch was welcomed at the cairns, bit disapointed my pre-ordered iced frapacinno and panini didn't arrive. Did enjoy the tunnocks though.

Apres lunch we retraced our tyre tracks to the top of the trail centre. The final descent was cracking, particularly enjoyed the top section. Didn't much care for the uphill slog and the two flats, just managed to roll into the car park at the bottom of the bank on the rim.

The day of course was not over. After the normal banter, prizes and sweetheart stout the journey back to RB HQ commenced. Three hundred and something miles, 2 cans of red bull, one coke zero, one espresso, one whopper, one family bag of revels, one ginsters sasauge roll, one pack of ready salted crisps and one pack of unknown chocolate biscuits later (like the Hungry Caterpillar gone wrong) I arrived home. Fortunately the M and S at Moto Knutsford had a fair selection of flowers too ;) 619 miles up in total, 6 less than Jamie.

Looking forward to next year already :)

Thanks to all the lads for organising a great ride always enjoy riding north of the border ride more there at the moment than I do back home! Great to meet up with everyone some fantastic pictures must remember my camera for the next ride in the peaks

You just know i would have been raging and moaning all the way round that course, and finishing at 6:30 would have put me in hospital.

Thanks a very lazy andy

any123":36bpahvg said:
You just know i would have been raging and moaning all the way round that course, and finishing at 6:30 would have put me in hospital.

Thanks a very lazy andy

And the car park was too small for your Intruder.

Latest posts

Back