Elswick Hopper Lincoln Imp - restoration advice please

thewoodgnome

Retro Newbie
Hi folks,
I have a 1957 Lincoln Imp which I'm yet to decide what to do with. I'd like to restore it as close to original spec and components as possible, but not sure what's original and what's not on it. Any info/pics of originals would be helpful. It's a nice frame, so if restoring is prohibitively expensive I may have to stick some modern components on just to get it back on the road. I used to ride one as a kid and am looking forward to reliving part of my youth! Any advice/specs/pics appreciated.
Cheers!
Paul

Hi, quick silly question, is it a Elswick or a Hopper Lincoln Imp, the head badge should answer the question. Terry

Good question! The head badge says Elswick. I've always said "Elswick-Hopper-Lincoln-Imp" as though it was one word (like "EnglandTestCollapse!") but see now I should be more careful...
I'll try adding a couple of photos.

Here's a list of what its got on it at the moment:
GB Arret brake levers & GB Sport Mk II sidepulls
Benelux gear lever
Olympian saddle
Sachs Huret derailleur ("ECO" stamped on plate)
Not sure about the pedals and chainwheel but have "made in France" stamped on
Also not sure about the headstock - no marks I can see.

The front wheel rim has "VAN SCHOTHORST" with "Shimano Japan" on the hub. Rear wheel has same rim, but with "421 W Germany" the only marking I can make out on the hub. I wondered if the rims might be original although obviously "Shimano is unlikely to be so!

I don't know if you can see the wheelnuts in the photo - red "E" for Elswick, and the sidepull nuts have red Imp motif - excellent!

As I say, if anyone has documents/links to confirm original spec I'd be most graceful!

I'll try loading pics now....
Cheers!
Paul

Hi, I have a Hopper Lincoln Imp from 1960, and have had a 1956 Elswick version go thru my hands ( frame knackered ), just reading between the lines , the only things that are not standard are the rear derailleur (it should be a Benelux ), the crank ( probably a Nicklin crank needed ) , and the wheels, they should have a large flanged steel hub and steel rims ( not really advisable as ally rims are so much better ). Basically they were a nice sturdy frame with mainly cheaper components to keep the price down, mine is in the queue with a worn headtube which needs a repair, but it will get done. Terry

Hi, put the photos up on a photo site and put the links in your message, or you could resize them. Not really a expert but that's what I usually do. Terry

Back