Anyone a Kayaker in here?

Go for it :LOL:

Used my mates dagger blackwater on the Wye, Bala, did the inlets around Hayling island (semi open water) did a bit round Brownsea Island (Poole) and out down the coast towards Bournemouth. Not a sea kayak so got pretty wet from the splash but riding the swell of the waves is fuuuuuun :)

Would have liked to do more but he sold them trying to raise funds, i dont have anywhere to store them :(

I had no instruction, other than a bit at school some 20+ years ago, had a few close calls but never went under.

I'd love to take it up again

It's worth getting tuition at least to learn to roll - many pools run courses. I muck about in Poole harbour with my son, and definitely would not go alone. Another boat is a great help to climb in again if you have to bail out from a capsize.
Sit-on tops are good fun for goofing about, but you definitely need a wetsuit or drysuit for UK conditions as you cannot keep warm and dry like a proper kayak. They are also heavier and wider, so are not nearly so efficient to paddle.

Cheers folks....all sounds like great fun. First thing we'll be doing is learning to eskimo roll....couldn't be arsed to find dry land to get in again if you capsize otherwise. There are a few local teachers but Jack's recommendation earlier looks pretty good. I'll be contacting him soon.

Life long canoe botherer here.

Join your local club and start instruction.

Rolling is easy, but you need to develop your strangth and stability as much as learn technique.

Getting used to exitting in shocking cold is as important, you cannot always roll.

Strong swimmer already? Good.

Latest posts

Back