ALL BECAUSE OF A PICTURE-A TRIBUTE BUILD FOR A NATIONAL HERO

Sentimental I am not - but a really worthwhile task and tribute - and very well done and told in every way.

I see that there is a very recent link to here and the build on the jmc website forum. Fitting.

Congrats on a top job, remember idolising JMC when I was getting into mtb's in the early nineties, he was this countries original downhill hero. Also brings back memories as I actually worked at Hardisty's in 1998-2000 whilst I was at uni in Newcastle. This was after his tragic death but I remember many members of staff and mr and mrs H speaking fondly of him and his phenomenal speed! He sounded like a completely genuine guy. I also remember seeing one of his bikes in the cellar.
Anyway, awesome job man.

:shock: :shock: :shock: WHOAH...Great skills, top bike, collective congratulations to anyone who contributed, that is one hell of tribute build.

Giom6":93kfdfrs said:
sinnerman":93kfdfrs said:
To be honest Gio, it came to a collective decision in the end, as did most of the spec choice to be fair,

after speaking to a lot of people, no one could give me a definitve answer to a build spec sheet.

Ideally we needed Jim for this, but despite multiple attempts at trying to contact him, i am ashamed to say all my attempts failed.

So to enable the build to complete, a collective opinion on the spec was reached, from peoples memories, photos and pictures from magazines.

As with all PRO/AM racers, specs change quickly, it wears out, it breaks etc..., so we went with the information we have.

the build spec in the non disc wheel pics, are mainly Shimano deore XT, with mavic 231 rims, tioga finishing kit, flite saddle, ODI attack grips, onza bar ends etc, with the Panaracer Smoke and Dart tyre combination.

the disc wheel build, is all but the same, but using Specialized BX23 rims, with black Shimano Deore XT hubs, Grafton cranks with Tioga chainrings, to complement the Tioga finishing kit, and Grafton Brakes.

It was decided that "At best Guess" the tyres would have been either Panaracer Smoke and Dart, and/or Tioga Mud Dawgs....which are pictured mounted to the disc wheel option.

I still have a niggle in me that said, Specialized Ground controls were used, but others disagreed and left me the minority opinion, and with little else to go on, i ran with the general collective opinion.

The collective is what this forum is all about. Picking at peoples memories and knowledge. For what its worth I think you've done a spot on job with the spec mate, it couldn't be any better. At least the tyres are simple to change out if you ever do hear back from Jim.

Good luck for BOTM, not that you'll need it! :)

thanks G, to be quite frank, some parts of this build, left me guessing and quite anxious at times, excited then disappointed then excitement agian.

As sentimental as i do get over a bike, this was even a new experience on me.

I think the whole Jason Mcroy story, is quite amazing in itself. the more i have learned the more i was inspired by it.

The frame itself, is quite different to everything else i have. which intregued me to be honest.

at this level and weight, nearly everything i have, ridden, or seen from a U.K framebuilder of the early 90"s has been fillet brazed or mini fillet brazed, or lugged.

Apart from the very trick seatpost clamping arrangement, its T.I.G welded, and of its time the newest Columbus tubing to come to market.

I have seen the Columbus genius tubes used on Bikes before, but not to this degree(certainly not on a mountain bike anyway), the differential tubing is very cool, But sadly a bugger to photograph.

It is very Svelte, especially at the rear, (i still cant get over the seatstays).

To have a frame that seemed to take a similar approach to the American designs, much more like Salsa and FatChance for example, than say a Roberts or a Yates that we have all grown to love and appreciate.

It really is a break from tradtion in my eyes considering when it was built, given it was a handbuilt frame From a little Known Builder From the North of England, all these ingrediants made it Quite unique in my eyes.

If i could ask Jason McRoy one Question, it would be ........

" how did your Hardisty compare to your Salsa "

As for BoTM, im really chuffed to have got it finished to be honest, the list of entries is like a whos whos of Quality English Frame Builders and companies,
To be able to have a Small bike shop Name like Hardisty added To that list, for me is enough.
But to have been able to add it, on His anniversary, and perhaps gain a little more worthy credit to the Frame builder by being amongst names like Roberts, Pace, Zinn, Lloyd, just makes it that little bit extra special.

Win or Loose, its there,

and lets face it, it wouldnt be, if it wasnt for this site, and all its contributing members.

That for me is enough............................................... :cool:

Attachments

• every_bike_has_a_story_172.jpg
    every_bike_has_a_story_172.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,054
unkleGsif":33j5mhet said:
Carl,

Truely inspiring, and a fitting, honourable tribute to him. much respect to you!

Both me and the Mrs are off this Friday (randomly) and are planning a decent ride somewhere.
I would like to take a trip up to the memorial on the Woodhead, but I know she will want to know exactly how far etc. Does anyone know where abouts or how far along it is, so I can work out the distance from our house?

G

Thank you, Have a good Day today.

Respect.

Attachments

• JMC.jpg
    JMC.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 994
Piers":7zp8x81u said:
Fantastic job.
I loved riding mine and this tread reminded me of that bike, the rides we had and, of course, the great JMC.
Off to the North York Moors to ride some of the trails in "Dirt" soon - it's a bit of an occasional pilgrimage ;)

Top Man, Enjoy the Trails mate, Theres no School like the Oldschool.... :cool:

oldave":2exhx3px said:
Sentimental I am not - but a really worthwhile task and tribute - and very well done and told in every way.

I see that there is a very recent link to here and the build on the jmc website forum. Fitting.

Thanks Dave, I have just seen the link thank you,

It was encouraging to too see, it shows me people have taken the time to read it.

It has made it all worth while.

:cool:

I would like to thank D.Brown for forwarding this onto me today.

Mint sauce tribute, with a small mention to Jason in the very bottom left corner.

There are hills in Heaven Jason.

thanks Dave. Top man... :cool:

Attachments

• There are hills in heaven Jason....mintsauce tribute, bottom left..jpg
    There are hills in heaven Jason....mintsauce tribute, bottom left..jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 991
Thanks for starting the build and the thread and for seeing it through, and all the contributors too

Touched, speechless but thankful too, can't believe how quickly time can pass but the impact someone can have on another never dwindles, in life or death

Back