Bike Register

poweredbypies":29duwa5z said:
Why its worth building a cheap scabber up or even better a scrappy bike 10 - 15 quid your lock will prolly be worth more.

I tried this, but even running to the shops some bits didn't work right, some needed replacing etc and it wasn't fun to ride into town. So I swapped a part or 2, cleaned it up, and now I like it, while it's still under £50 the time and effort means I still would be gutted if it got stolen.

I just don't leave any bike anywhere out of sight.

Fear of theft ranks up there with the weather and the traffic to put people off cycling in this country.

cce wrote:

alarmed locks etc

That sounds (sorry :oops: ) like a good idea. Do you have any links?

stewlewis wrote:

I just don't leave any bike anywhere out of sight.

I agree with you but it's not always possible.
I think it will come down to legislation eventually when the boom in cycling leads to overwhelming numbers of bike thefts because of the increased supply.
I currently use a '94 Claud Butler (£10 local tip plus a lot of time and effort but very little money) as my everyday bike but I would be mortified if it was nicked. I use two locks on it but I doubt they would deter a thief for very long.

cce":z8qu28l1 said:
noise is the key. alarmed locks etc

These were mentioned some time ago on the site (years ago) Certainly a good idea except like car alarms now most people take no notice of them.

As for the big lock also good but they may not get away with the bike instead damage the frame in trying to steal it. Meaning the bike is a dead bike.
Meaning a long wait on e-bay till anther one turns up.

The problem is we have items that people want and will take with out asking.
If you never lock up out side. Then you could be knocked of while riding? This has happened round my way.If it could taken from your home. I should lock mine up at home perhaps.

tintin40":26by9ajd said:
[
The problem is we have items that people want and will take with out asking.

At the end of the day all we can do is take precautions bearing in mind that the majority of thieves are just opportunist scum and will move on to an easier/unsecured target wherever possible

Eddie King":nmygrmip said:
At the end of the day all we can do is take precautions bearing in mind that the majority of thieves are just opportunist scum and will move on to an easier/unsecured target wherever possible

Agree. But with the help of e-bay & the web a scum bag can see that a Klein or Merlin is worth the extra effort to steal than a Marin, MF etc

Back