You know that spare hub you had kicking around...

He'd get that award posthumously though.

As for component failure : such small turbines usually spin at 60-100K RPM. The bearings in them are usually built specifically for that kind of speed.
Bicycle bearings on he other hand aren't. This guy was VERY lucky that it didn't go bang.

Reminds me of an old boss of mine who tried to make a bench mounted grinder using an old spin dryer motor and a grinding disc off an angle grinder.

The first time he used it the disc shattered and blew one of his knuckles off. He still can't use that finger properly 20 years later.

Sure at one point you can see something come out the back suprised it didnt all melt down on him. Fun tho, always wanted to make a pulse jet.

Raging_Bulls":l7j9yqv3 said:
He'd get that award posthumously though.
Am I missing something?

One of the key points of Darwin awards, is that the awardee (that a real word?) is, um, well, dead - it's kinda the point - well that, and hopefully hasn't bred, so has not allowed the humourously (presumed) defective genes to propagate in the gene pool, so to speak.

It didn't actually work, as he had to keep the air blast into it - you can build good ones using old car turbos though - and they won't blow up on you!

Some of the other ones on the links looked good. I used to design bits for 650hp gas turbines for aircraft APUs and portable pumps for the Navy.

No doubt better bearings, more compressor stacks, tighter tolerances and a better fuel supply might have helped, but it served the purpose for what the machine was intentioned, the basics of jet propulsion.

Now go and look at the Bedini SSG motor.

Back