the cycle show ITV 4

hurin76

Retrobike Rider
Just watching the cycle show on itv 4 thought I'd gauge some opinions on it, so far looks like an elongated free advert for 'look mum no hands' in shoreditch with another segment on the brompton folder :( ...jeff banks has just turned up,doesn't look good!

Watched the entire first episode and 10 mins of the second before switching off, ITV owe me 70mins of my life back, it was bloody awful :(

watching this on ITV4 and already distracted by the peeling wallpaper border above the TV set......
such a shame, they could be riding the wave of cycling success from the Olympics, instead, they're tossing about on fold up 'bikes'. i'm sorry but fold up bikes aren't for cyclist, they're for commuters.

i'll get my kicks on Retrobike thanks.

Bit harsh methinks.

I've watched each episode so far and it has improved week on week. Considering there hasn't ever been a successful show which encompasses all things cycling, and that it has a tiny budget compared to most TV shows, I think the producers are doing a reasonable job of it.

Fair enough Nigel Mansell was a poor choice of guest for the first show, and an opportunity was missed with Graeme Obree and Gary Fisher with so little air time.
But I think there has been a pretty varied content with some interesting features and guests. It can't and won't be just about old mountain bikes...
I don't however like the 'Top Gear' format they are using for interviewing guests in a crowded cafe. All comes across as a bit superficial. The image quality from the DV cameras they are using does show too.

Nice to see Lizzie Armitstead on tonight's edition and the legend that is Joff Summerfield.
Not too sure about Jeff Banks though...

Watched an episode last night. Awful!
Very little action and the BMX rider had that unbelievable annoying habit of intonating every statement as if it was a question! Aaaarrrgh!
Won't be watching it again.Will either go out for a ride or a tinker in the man cave instead!

It is definitely improving. I managed about 15 minutes of the first edition, forgot the second because the Limpicks were on and have watched the last two.

There are bound to be articles, like commuter bikes, or cycling in London that don't apply to full on cycle enthusiast, but then, how many people that watch Top Gear (I'm not one of them) will ever own a £200,000 car?

I thought Jeff Banks was great, I didn't know he was a cyclist and it was great to hear his enthusiasm.

It has some way to go, but I still think it's worth a watch.

Oh and the BMX guy was REALLY annoying.

Back