My 99 Lobo Restoration and build

I know what you mean about drawing the line somewhere...if you don't you can guarantee that you'll keel going over something really small, go too far or cock it up and be back at square one.

Looking good so far. I got in lots of trouble when doing my alloys and I bought them into the house to dry and made downstairs smell like a paint shop.

For my Lobo frame, I have prefered asking to a professionnal car painter, because it's a huge job to have a good result without pro material :

alu38.jpg

...but your job seems perfect !
:p

Took the whole tin of white to make it white, as usual base colour aerosol is thin and the invetiable 'spit' moment happend a few times :)

Then this is after one coat of the pearl, which splattered even worse and I'm going to have to flat off a little in one or two places but the tint is cool. You won't see it properly till clear is on and its in the sun.

(I know, it still looks like primer! :))

So.....I took a kebab break last night and didn't put the clear on until early this morning :p

I hate applying clear, the last step after all that work and you nearly always end up with a run because something inside just eggs you on to apply more, just a little more, go on! You should apply it while the base coat is still within a certain window, you need the clear to 'melt' into it, 12-16hrs max.

Misty coat first to create adhesion then the upper half of the fork is the second wet coat

Third and final very wet coat, no runs! This 2k clear is awesome, it can go on very thick but the can emptied in no time. The colour is good and red but the pearl lights it up with an orange tinge, its just right as I was worried it wouldn't be red enough.

The frame by my calculation now has 1 litre of liquid on it, time to add another half litre! Removed a few spots in the base with wooden tool and applied three coats run free. It has gone on smoother than usual, bad orange peel is not a problem to deal with after but this won't need much wet sanding at all. Can't see anything stuck in it either which is a bonus :D

I've tried to show the pearl but its subtle, I will take much better pics as soon as I can get it in the sun.

Pretty happy with it, the colour is cool but not that in your face, I really wanted to paint it lurid yellow or something but I have the red ano parts for bling!
Just need to clean up the mess, sand the whole thing with 2000+ wet and dry to remove the minimal peel, then machine polish and not before time, put the damn thing back together :D

Nice choice of colour, I've also thinked about yellow for my Lobo, but prefered a softer colour...

What decals will you paste ?

That looks awesome, can't wait to see it rebuilt.

I'm going to have my SX repainted over the winter...thought about doing it myself but not sure I have the patience or skill to do it well.

Mindmap3":27i8c576 said:
That looks awesome, can't wait to see it rebuilt.

I'm going to have my SX repainted over the winter...thought about doing it myself but not sure I have the patience or skill to do it well.

I will put the regular Lobo decals on, like this http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15 ... o1000.jpg/

I just wanted to play with these 2k paints really, I did set of alloys once and it was huge work and I swore never again.
Well this time, really never! Its a stupid amount of work, you can get an ok look with less hassle than I've shown but if the paint starts falling off later you've wasted your time.

Apparently car bodyshops are doing this sort of thing for £100 or maybe less, I'll go there next time..I've had the 'experience' now :O

I wasn't too sure when I saw all the bits anodised red, but seeing the lever back in one piece, it looks brilliant.

Will the bike get much use when it's finished, or is it more of a labour of love / just because you can project?

This certainly has been a labour of love. The attention to detail is brilliant. I can't wait to see the completed result.

Latest posts

Back