Dunelt frame numbers

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i am taking a 1950's Dunelt of to be sand blasted 2moro and then to have it powder or spray coated , i was told by its original owner it was Reynolds 531 tubing and made to order for him by Dunelt , frame set & forks incl headset and bottom bracket just hit 2 kg so lightish . fork tube has number 1543 or something close , bottom bracket has a number but under loads of paint so cant read it .

anybody got any sales info from that time area re dunelts , will post pic later from household pc .

2kg for frame/forks/headset and bottom bracket? That's very light in my books for a steel frame.

Never heard of Dunelt though, sorry.

Mark.

must admit had to check it twice , but then in pic below it only weighed 13 kg complete with dynamo hubbed fr wheel and both rims were steel along with fr & rr rack assy's .

just dropped of at powder coaters gone for a nice bright orange colour !

dunelt were swallowed at some Point by Raleigh .

Attachments

• 5925765-617m.jpg
    5925765-617m.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 560
Just a suggestion, TI/ Phillips also made Armstrong at that time (mid 50's), and had the ability to make a few class frames. Dave Duffield was running Armstrong and got Bill Gameson to build some specials. I could specify anything on the frames for a very reasonable price. If it has not already been coated see if you can identify silver brazing that Bill used on most of the Armstrongs.
By the mid 50's Dunelt were almost a dead mark, and Phillips cheap bikes, but still had a considerable export market in the US.
Keith

funny you should mention that all brazing was a bronzy gold colour as the gent who blasted it commented on it , when he handed the frame back .

had this frame set blasted and powder coated a nice loud orange colour so letting that harden of a bit before commencing build

Back