'87 Raleigh Montage

Just been taken back to 1989, sitting in my back garden routinely taking my Cool Mint Montage to peices and rebuilding, even if it didnt need a clean!
Mine was a little later with canti's, and was my 13th b'day present

I used to go on 70mile road rides with my brother and his mate on their campag'd race bikes, while I toiled along behind on this, with its wobbly rings and knobblies.... they used to rip me for being so slow.... bear in mind I was also 13, and they were 18..... :roll: , but then the first time I borrowed one of their "training bikes" (yes, they had a race bike AND a training bike... ponces :roll: ), I literally blew them both out of the water and got home 20 minutes before them :LOL: :LOL:

Loved my Mintage

G

uncleGsif - are you on UKSaabs by any chance? My boss (gaznod) recognised your user name.....

A few people have asked what tyres I may be fitting to this -

any suggestions on period correct, good quality tyres greatly appreciated as I'm not entirely sure what would suit.......

Indeed... although that particular chapter of my life is now sadly over. Saab died (gearbox no' 5), mrs hated it, lost job, skint, getting married, commuting 70miles daily, another car as priority (61 beetle) all contributed to sensible motoring :roll:

There's 2 others from uks on here too

G

oaklec":ethp9bxp said:
How's that Montage build coming along?

Stagnated at the mo......too many Marins, not enough time!

I have done a bit since updating the thread......mainly cleaning up the rear wheel/rear cassette.

For the time being though it's tucked up safely in the shed.

Still waiting Mart!

We really need to go out for a ride before the weather turns sour, I've chucked the Muirwoods together :D

This brings back memories...possibly the first half respectable mtb I ever saw. It might have been only 501 tubing but it was still much lighter than the anvil I was riding at the time. Do your knees a favour and get different chainrings or ride gently though. That seatpost is also very short by anyone's standards and I'd be tempted to use something else. I did like those suntour shifters the montage had and the u-brake (despite its flaws).

Interesting story.

I have one of these in exactly the same colour. It's in pretty good condition, all original but I hardly ride it.

In fact I was going to put it up on the sales forum, roughly what do you think I ought to be looking for it?

Cheers

Back