Shimano or Sram?!

Mindmap3":1u60kbsc said:
getin":1u60kbsc said:
My opinion, Shimano is better always has been, sram is the BMW Badge. Low end Shimano like deore and the new alivio 9 speed are ridiculously good for the money and is way better than sram low end. Sram x9 rear mechs are very good but there shifters and front mech have allways been poor. My experiences from 15 years working in bike shops.

Isn't the low end Sram stuff just the old stuff with a new name? The current X5 stuff for example looks identical to my X9 from 05...I dint know if the materials etc are the same, but aesthetically it looks the same.

Maybe they are.

I've always had Shimano until a few years ago when I tried SRAM. Now all my modern bikes run SRAM. I prefer the action and aesthetics of SRAM over the Shimano stuff. Recently built up a MC Fury with all SRAM including the new Type 2 clutch mech, best mech out there for the money IMHO.

7806373806_3fe3f83f15_h.jpg

Don't think anyone's mentioned it but Shimano's Saint (and the new Zee) stuff is aimed at freeride/downhill so is tougher but heavier - if you're building a lightweight XC bike it's not what you want!

I've always used Shimano but for my last bike went with X9 for something different and I guess there's two ways you could describe each of them. I find Shimano to be slick with little pressure required on the shifters to change gear. Others would describe it as vague and complain about being able to change too many gears by mistake. Then there's the X9 which I found required more pressure on the triggers and you also felt (and heard) a more noticeable click when the shift was made. I'd describe that as clunky and agricultural but others like that claiming it's more positive.

I soon sold the X9 shifters and fitted Sram/Pauls thumbies and the exact same comparisons can be made with those vs the Dura Ace thumbies I have on another bike. I'll probably ditch the Sram kit when the new XT hits the shops....

XX1 sounds good but the price of the cassette is bonkers!!

kaiser":3rly9a83 said:

And you'll also need the dedicated DT Swiss/Sram rear hub if you want to use that cassette :(

Fudd":27cvt7gi said:
kaiser":27cvt7gi said:

And you'll also need the dedicated DT Swiss/Sram rear hub if you want to use that cassette :(

Apparently there are quite a few other companies signing up to make the freehub as well, I'd imagine Hope are one of them. The good news is that it is just the freehub that needs changing, whereas the Shimano road stuff has a different spacing, meaning a whole new hub.

I guess it's aimed at the Enduro crowd. My only concern would be the jumps between ratios; I sometimes find there is too bigger jump on my 11-36. On the other hand, it would give me an easier gear on my 1x10 which it lacks for really long or steep climbs. Will be interesting to see how Shimano respond.

In the end I think it's good that Sram have moved beyond grip shift and taken some market share off Shimano because it has forced both companies to up thei game. And we get better products as a result.

Had sram kit about 11 years back and it never worked how I thought it should. Always used xtr since and I don't mess about with it, it just gets treated like shit, cleaned occaisionally and it just works. I've ridden a couple of bikes with X0 and it was ok, just couldn get used to the shifters. It certainly didn't make me think wow this is good I should get this. Back on my bike seemed a lot more precise and quiet. Never got on with xtr disc brakes though I havnt tried the latest ones.

To sum it up. I've only bought xtr when I've had a new frame to build up
I've bought 3 sram mechs to replace the one before going wrong

Back