Modern ways of playing and storing music.

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Long story but the upshot is my HIFI is knackered. For a few years now I've played all my music through the computer and latterly have connected the computer up to an amp playing through some ancient Wharfdales.

So to join the 21st century what is happening out there? I think I want to store all my stuff digitally and I'm joined at the hip to my I pod. What kind of set up should I be considering? I'll add that the PC isn't exactly new ( just had a look and it could be 10 years old :eek: )

...the same as what you did ten years ago except store the cd's on the PC via Windows media or iTunes or countless other media players.

Not much has changed really. I use iPod docking station throughout the house with old amps and speakers.

I have everything on the PC and just play it via my media player (Xion).
Copied the entire music folder to my MP3 player, for when I'm not at home.
With a decent set of PC speakers, it sounds more than good enough. I really don't hear a difference in quality between a song being played on my PC or on a million-pound BOSE system.

The PC is on whenever I'm at home anyway, so it's not like I'm wasting electricity by using it for playing music. In fact I'm saving a bit due to not having a PC and a HiFi/stereo on at the same time.

I still use the hifi if I am consciously having a "listening to music" session However I have an old first generation iMac that use as a music server to play tunes when I'm mucking around the house. It has decent speakers and is quite a cool thing to have knocking around.

I'm using an iomega Screenplay MX2 media player. 1TB Hard drive. Plays virtually every audio and video format including 1080p. You can plug it into your comp via USB cable and it sees it as a drive or transfer files via USB thumb drive directly. Simple to use UI on your TV screen. Connects to your receiver via HDMI then receive to TV via HDMI, or run HDMI, component, or RCA to the TV for video and coax audio or RCA to your receiver for the sound. It's got a basic IR remote that works well. GOt mie for $90 on sale Boxing Day, and am quite pleased with it.

I10417034.jpg

Buy a turntable and all the music again on vinyl.

You know it makes sense. ;)

Seriously though... Transfer your CDs to a home server in FLAC format so you don't lose any sound quality and get one of these:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=776

Or you could just play your CDs on it! And every other format, pretty much....

I'm saving up for one!

Back