Keep the Olympic Mountain Bike Course! - online petition

allterrainbiker

Retro Newbie
This might be vaguely off topic but please bear with me as it's for a very good cause. Please take a minute to sign and forward the petition and when we win, perhaps we'll have a retro-bike meet down there :)

For everyone in favour of keeping the ONLY rocky trail in the south east of Britain - here's an online petition.

It's easy to use, just click the link.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/k...%2Bto%2BFriend

In case anybody doubts that the intention is to dismantle the course; here is the email I received from Essex County Council.

This is the definitive answer and the course WILL BE SANITIZED UNLESS THEY CAN BE MADE TO SEE SENSE.

"We are committed to retaining as much of the Olympic course as possible but adaptations will have to be made to allow beginner and novice riders to use the course safely.

There will be various works to make it suitable for public access and these works will not begin until 2013.

ECC are planning to provide opportunities for experienced riders of a suitable standard who are interested in riding the course the chance to join guided rides before the adaptations are completed.

For experienced mountain bikers who have completed “black” grade trails at other UK trail centres or others with appropriate coaching or skills qualifications who are interested they should email london2012@essex.gov.uk providing details of their experience level and weather they are interested as a) a Group or b) an individual."

I'm sure most people on here will find this ludicrously patronizing and consider that it shows a complete mis-understanding of our sport.

I think the root of the problem is that the general public in this part of the country don't understand anything about mountain biking or its popularity. This comment in the Essex Echo illustrates my point:

"Give it a couple of months and this 'track' will be just another mothballed facility." As if!

As well as signing the petition you can email ECC

contact@essex.gov.uk

and/or write your comments on

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9872...pic_bike_track

ps I live in Yorkshire so this doesn't affect me personally - just want mountain biking to be the winner!

During the TV coverage of the olympics they said the course would be retained and development of easier trails would be made to allow for non-olympic level riders. Facilities would be added and it would be turned into a bike park for the public.

The local council have already agreed to keep it open and to add seperate tracks and simpler routes for novices along with a visitor centre.

In other words it will become a trail centre.

The petition is pointless, it's being kept.

It does make you think of the internet buzz before the olympics of how the UK has amazing forests, hills, mountains and why do we need a man made bland trail built on a farm...

It was an OK course and it worked well for TV, it's good that they are keeping it open. I think keep our forests and let use use them it a more worthy petition.
Then again I'm lucky to be within an hour of Cannock, the Peaks, N Wales, Derbyshire dales etc.

Back