My recent 'find out' which maker rebuild road bike. PAVONE.

Honky":1ldt9jck said:
Hi Ian, I've got the pics here, just trying got work out how to upload them...

Cheers

I upload all my pictures via' 'Photobucket' as i have no idea how to use the forum way of uploading pictures :?

Hi Ian

Photobucket did the job. Here you go mate.

DSCF9185.jpg

DSCF9186.jpg

DSCF9187.jpg

DSCF9188.jpg

I should have wiped the decals before I took the pic, there's a fly on the 'P' in the second pic.

They are all in pretty good nick. Thanks for doing the ground work for the frame though, it has a story now!

H.

Mint stuff H.

Finally another Pavone has come to the light of the retro crew.

I did think of doing the Pavone decals two dimensional because you can see it in the bare steel. :roll:

I didn't expect to see the pavone letters in white! Was told they were in chrome gold, but could have been different on other bikes.

On the bottom of my head badge i was to put Otley but thought it may be too much but now i've seen your head badge i may find it out and stick it on.

Thanks for taking the time in uploading the pic's.

Cheers.
Ian.

Happy to be of service.

If you want any hi-res pics of the decals or head badge just let me know.

Ta.

The decals which are on my frame are sealed behind lacquer now
if they had been just 'stuck on' i would be asking you for the sizes
and do replacement decals in white and chrome gold.

I'm happy with the outcome of my Pavone and many riders ask
'what is it' and i tell them the story and a long one at that...lol

Cheers.
Ian.

Re: My recent 'find out' which maker rebuild road bike. PAVO

To follow suit (my story's similar to Honky's - nowt a couple of years back), I have a Pavone tandem in 531 which I've more or less built up, though the little collar behind the canti boss which allows the return spring to seat is missing, so I'm left with the following options:

- Get Mercian (local to me) to braze another on, but then a repaint will also be required
- bung some other forks on, but then the match of the current ones is good.

Anyway, the only reason I know it was branded Pavone is that in certain lights you can see the shadow of the lettering on the now bare paintwork.

If anyone does get any more on the brand/heritage, I'd be interested to hear it.

James

ukjmr":3qco9826 said:
the only reason I know it was branded Pavone is that in certain lights you can see the shadow of the lettering on the now bare paintwork.
If anyone does get any more on the brand/heritage, I'd be interested to hear it. James
Be good to see the completed Pavone Tandem James :cool:

Right then James about Pavone's !! I have really dug deep since I last posted about my bike :D

All pavones where made by 'M Steel Cycles' http://www.msteelcycles.co.uk/and the chap who was in charge of making pavone frame-sets was Peter Harrison
when these frame-sets where finished they was sent off to be stove enamelled and decals applied by Ellis Briggs in Shipley http://www.ellisbriggscycles.co.uk/
These framesets all belonged to Rick Peacock and they were called Pavone which is Italian for Peacock and the shop was called Chevin Cycles in Otley in Yorkshire,
at Chevin cycles they was custom built[groupsets] to customers requirements, many racing bikes where custom made for a local Yorkshire amateur racing team.

Peter Harrison has told me the Pavone is worth its weight in gold as they where only made for a couple of years and are very rare to find, especially the 753 versions which was used for the 'team'!

I still have no idea what the team was though but their team clothing wrote ''Pavone by Chevin Cycles''

I too could see the name Pavone on the bare steel

pavonebadge001.jpg

The 'team' (to the best of my knowledge) was probably Halifax RC which was not 'officially' sponsored by Pavone/Peacock's but riders were 'encouraged' to either ride a genuine Pavone or to have their existing frames re-enamelled and Pavone transfers fitted. Danny Horton was probably the most well known of the HRC members and rode Pavone to many wins and championship placings. This was when Peacocks had a shop in Halifax.

I can't remember Pavone having any involvement with professional teams but it is always possible that one team did ride Pavone frames at some time. If anyone knows of this then please tell!

Halifax RC was in some ways a pure racing offshoot of Halifax Imperial Wheelers and some members transferred across.

Re:

Hi Ian,

I worked with John Peacock at the shop in Halifax at the time the Pavone logo, frames and shirts were designed. As well as in the shop in Sowerby Bridge, with Spen the father of all the brothers.

I remember assembling the green and gold Pavone on display in the shop window, with John. John was a master technician and could true a wheel better than anyone I knew. The shop was called Cyril Sands Cycle Centre.

The first downtube logo decals were white and gold. The first shirts were chocolate with a day-glow orange logo. We thought we looked the dogs 'wants it's'

The white logo in the pictures were used in Halifax, I think the ones in gold were used in Otley, which was owned and run by Rick, john brother.

Bob and Steve still run cycle gear in Halifax.

It was a fun time and I am a better person today having known them all and the rest of the family.

Stan

Back