Retrobike National Series Rd 5: Tweed Valley ~ AFTERMATH pg7

had a kiddies fish supper along with TK,ZZ,taz,velo,jamie,and the el-pedros , just enough to curb the hunger and very good it was too
some of the local dog owners put on a little parade for us ,most amusing
so home at 9:15 via M&S for various indian foodstuffs and ice cream
then off to bed
i have to say my arse is a bit chaffed ,my super comfy brooks being the
main suspect
top day out meeting old friends and some new
will get some pics up if there's any in focus ,when i get them sorted

Got back home eventually after a very steady journey back down the M6.

Great day out though with all the usual superlatives. Despite monsoon like conditions on the way up, the clouds magically parted as I hit Moffat.
By the time I had finished an epically sized breakfast at a cafe in Innerleithen, the sun was almost shining.

After the prerequisite amount of faffing and last minute bike fixing, it was time to haul said breakfast up the first climb. It's fair to say that this seems to go on forever and it was unexpectedly warm. The cool air in the woods was a welcome respite as we steadily winched our way up to the top of Minch Moor. There were only two broken chains...
Then our guides seamlessly fed us onto the Southern Uplands Way for some stinky bog hopping and slippery slide descents.
The natural trails were a perfect antidote to the sometimes predictable trail centre terrain.

Our seventeen strong group laughed, huffed and puffed along the ridge heading to a distant promise of a buried barrel of ale.
Our lunch stop was a distant speck on the horizon, something to aim our wheels at.

We continued leaving Radoslaw squatting in a gateway, and reached our goal of the Three Brethren for a well earned packed lunch.
The barrel of ale turned out to be an elaborate ruse to spur us on. We had to make do with water and generous handout's of Tunnock's Caramels, Haribo and strange meat flavoured snacks.
Chat turned to Rob Atkin's apparent nine year incarceration in a room without doors or windows for the incorrect use of an adjustable wrench. This amongst other unmentionable things I may have misheard or paraphrased...
We soaked in the fantastic panaromic view, picking out long distant landmarks and scanned our return route.

Moving on we retraced our tyre marks, avoiding any Polish poo on the way. "It was radioactive" claimed Rad as he passed it's forgotten coordinates.

There was a brief test of technical climbing ability on a loose section of path. I failed twice but Geoff Apps proved that the Cleland position on his Aventura was perfect for the job. A perfect demonstration of the design before retiring to recline in the heather and watch the rest of us fail.

After a good few hours we returned to the top of the Innerleithen trails. An optional extra section of the Minch Moor descent was eagerly taken by some, resulting in a lovely ribbon of sculpted trails dropping down from the wonky summit cairn in now glorious sunshine.

The descending continued, following the usual format of flowing trails interrupted by rock features and slabs. Great fun I'm sure on a modern bike, but slightly jarring on a fully rigid old machine.
The brutal body pummelling was still awesome though, as long as tyres were kept on inch perfect lines to avoid the almost inevitable pinch punctures.
We all made it down with varying degrees of success despite the unexpectedly long climb in amongst the "95% downhill" final few miles.
It was really great though all the way down to the finale at Caddon Bank, a vertiginous drop back down to the car park.
John got there first with me in hot pursuit and then a steady trickle of happy smiling retro riders emerged from the woods. Shaking out rattled fingers and forearms.

It took a while before everyone returned after several punctures, a couple of crashes and a troublesome (modern) crank arm.

Cans of cold 'Sweetheart Stout' were broken out as promised as we all basked in the afterglow of a great day out on the trails.
It was 6:30pm by the time we'd all returned; a long day out.

Great to meet several new faces and several I'd met before.
It was also a real pleasure and an honour to have Geoff Apps along on his prototype Cleland Aventura. Really fantastic bit of design and engineering and a really nice person to chat with. Pretty handy on a bike too.

Well done and thank you to all the ride organisers and guides.
Superb stuff!

Rob Atkin":31p4a2qd said:
My hands are killing this morning. I do appear to have some sort of itchiness on my shins. This might be from the heather, who knows???
Did you spray them with 'Eat my Dirt' bike cleaner...?

some quotables to be going on with
"if i squeeze my helmet all the liquid goes sideways "
"she went outside the bus station ,lifted her skirt and whooosh , didn't even take her knickers off , all down her legs "
"i like bradford"
"i do have a good tool kit now tho"
"bullet bros chain tensioner" several times
"my bird made me some nice baps last night"
"hows the bike ?" " shite ,but its okay"
" HARRY ,you bastard dog ,come here "

It was also a real pleasure and an honour to have Geoff Apps along on his prototype Cleland Aventura. Really fantastic bit of design and engineering and a really nice person to chat with. Pretty handy on a bike too.

Thanks for those kind words, Paul, it was a most memorable event for me; I just don't seem to get motivated to ride on my own. So, a group ride was just what I needed, and what a pleasant group, too boot.

I'm feeling my age these days, as you will all have heard my laboured breathing, and I experienced leg cramps while riding for the first time ever. I just wish I could get the weight of my 40lb bike down somewhat. Either that, or invent some way of converting ascents into descents!

Transport is a bit of an issue for me, so let me know if you want to come and sample some Berwickshire routes ~ I never see any but my own tyre tracks.

At the top in the gale force winds that were up there, Kaiser bravely standing up against the force of the breeze. I attempted going for a pee up there, first time I've ever had the "flow" coming out at a 90 degree angle

7810392476_e87e2088ae_c.jpg

But it was OK as we were looking at this

7810398750_24fc91d74c_c.jpg

Then back down the way, which oddly included lots of ups, but the the descent proper starts, our one lady rider tearing it up down the first part of the red descent.

7810400376_4ec19119e5_c.jpg

And then the view from the top of the final drop down. A lot of descent distance in very little distance if that makes sense. I happily minced down the first part as the big drop offs gave me the fear, especially as my arms felt dead by then. Cadon Bank was a hoot though once past them.

7810401912_8fc01ff202_c.jpg

A grand day out for all. From collecting Velo on the way to the first cold sip of beer when I got home. Lots of mud, lots of loose stone tracks, lots of puddles to take childish pleasure at splashing through. The car park was the usual round of wandering about introducing yourself to people and looking at some gorgeous bikes that people actually use as they were intended to be used.

I managed a glorious 50 yards before the first crash of the day I'm proud (ashamed?) to say. It then proved to be a tough day to reintroduce myself to the joy of clipless pedals, having fooled myself I was back up to speed with them after a few half hour commutes without mishap. The main improvement being I got better at emergency dismounts as the day went on, landing in heather? Check. Landing next to a puddle? Check. Landing on my side on a rocky step up? Check. Thankfully always uphill.

The muddy sections were soupy to say the least, some of them were more like school dinners custard. And It looks like Ritchey ZMax tyres are a fantastically unsuitable weapon for it. Straight line being next to impossible to maintain as they let the mud steer me as opposed to me steering through the mud.

A good ride with a few vital lessons. The main one being that by the time you get to my age (46) even two months without meaningful time on the bike destroys any fitness you have at all. The long drags killed me to be honest but you can't have the fun of down without the pain of up. The upside was I got a few chances to chat with Geoff and hear some of his fascinating ideas about cycling techniques. Everyone that tried his bike were quite taken with it, Mikee in particular.

And the weather was deceptively sunny it appears as I have very pink arms today, which isn't a good look when you have been wearing gloves all day. A real farmers tan going on now.

The chip stop on the home was a great idea and I got home via the shop to get a cold bottle of beer. Drank after a long shower that included having to use a nailbrush to scrub the mud off my legs.

I then fell asleep in front of the telly until 2 in the morning. I think I deserved a nap.

Great day out, and good to see some old and new faces.

Brilliant old and new school route too, a long exhausting day full of fun descents. Never ceases to amaze me how much energy some people have, most noticably Rado who in the last few miles shot off never to be seen again, you'd think he had a rocket up his arse or something.

Thanks to Paul for building my bike at the start, and to Geoff for some fascinating insight into bike design. ZZ kaiser and Velo for route finding.

The Horn of Destiny! It calls us. To the hills
dsc7534nef.jpg

Rollercam loveliness on mikee's Fuji
dsc7541nef.jpg

Superb paint and decal work on Rob Atkin's Dave Lloyd's stem
dsc7536nef.jpg

Kaiser's parts box special - Team Fat Chance
dsc7537nef.jpg

TheKen's Raleigh Burner looking for a new home - no takers yesterday
dsc7543f.jpg

First chain needing fixed before the ride even began... drystonepaul's turn to fettle TheKen's Xizang
dsc7547nef.jpg

boxxer and his dug wanting nothing to do with it though
dsc7544nef.jpg

Everybody signed in?
dsc7546nef.jpg

Radek worried that the hills will not be steep enough
dsc7549o.jpg

First stop after the initial climb up out of the car park
dscf5024v.jpg

Geoff Apps floating over the trail - this would turn out to be a theme for the day
dscf5029k.jpg

Rob tries to get used to his bike after a shot of the Cleland
dscf5030c.jpg

Leaving the trail and heading for the Southern Upland way
dscf5032c.jpg

dscf5034r.jpg

dscf5036x.jpg

dscf5039.jpg

dscf5040s.jpg

dscf5051.jpg

dscf5049oh.jpg

dscf5047h.jpg

dscf5044l.jpg

dscf5043j.jpg

Out of the trees at the Point of Resolution with most of the initial climb out of the way
dscf5052.jpg

dscf5053h.jpg

And then onto the rolling hills
dscf5055s.jpg

dscf5063k.jpg

Radek's 'tummy trouble' face
dscf5064c.jpg

dscf5066q.jpg

dscf5067.jpg

Final push to the Three Brethren lunch stop...
dscf5069u.jpg

dscf5070e.jpg

... Where the guv was not convinced by the lamb BBQ
dscf5072c.jpg

TheKen prefers his dodgy meat from packet
dscf5074a.jpg

dscf5075s.jpg

dscf5077z.jpg

Fun and games on the Cleland
dscf5082.jpg

dscf5084w.jpg

TheKen ignoring the catastrophe looming in the background...
dscf5086ma.jpg

... as the guv wrestles manfully with the Cleland
dscf5087q.jpg

Return leg pics later this evening...

:? Gutted I couldn't make it, when I collected my bike I was thinking of the trip....hence I went out on mine as soon as I collected it.

Great pics and great selection of bikes....would of like a shot of that cleland but I'm disappointed no one took that Raleigh burner around :LOL:

Back